Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)
Hi,
Does anyone know what the secs are of the iPad Mini in comparisson to the iPod Touch 5G?

Anyone have any thoughts on which one is better?

Thanks

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I am assuming the iPad mini has siri, does anyone know for sure? If so it has something hardware wise different from the iPad 2.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
My iPod Touch 5 just arrived today, and after seeing the iPad Mini announcement, I have no thoughts of exchanging.

iPod Touch is cheaper, and has double the storage, and it has retina. It's a truly portable, pocket device, and easier to use with one hand.

If I am at home, i'm using my iMac, if I am on the go, i'm using my pocket device. The iPad mini is not for me.

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
That is very well put. I have been trying to decide if a would find use for one of the new iPads. Like you I have a desktop iMac and I also have an old Macbook I use still. I have had an iPod Touch over the last three years and currently have a slightly battered 4gen that I use for everything (airplay to my Apple TV, texting with Text Plus, podcasts, surfing the net when out, etc). I do like the pocket portability.

My one interest is upgrading my Apple TV Airplay experience, so faster wifi, better graphics processing, etc, are a concern. Do you think an iPod Touch 5gen would do this as well as an iPad 2 or mini? What about an iPad 4?

Cheers

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
My iPod Touch 5 just arrived today, and after seeing the iPad Mini announcement, I have no thoughts of exchanging.

iPod Touch is cheaper, and has double the storage, and it has retina. It's a truly portable, pocket device, and easier to use with one hand.

If I am at home, i'm using my iMac, if I am on the go, i'm using my pocket device. The iPad mini is not for me.

Well said. I've an iPad 2 3G which serves my needs quite well (particularly since I've kept it on iOS 5.1.1). I wanted more portability for certain things, so I purchased the iPod touch 5 even though I knew the mini was on the radar.

While the iPad mini is sweet and very tempting, I'm rock solid on the touch 5. Just got my earpods with mic and remote from Amazon today, and they're the icing on the cake.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
The ipad mini IS an Ipad 2 but smaller.

Exactly!!

I'd stick with iPT5.
If you need an iPad, I'd suggest going for the iPad 4. If you're like me and wouldnt mind getting an iPad mini also, I'd wait 6 months and see if Apple refresh the mini with a retina display etc. :)

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
i admit that by first glance, Ipad mini seems undeniable to me but once I realized that I have already owned an Ipad 2. I understand it could be heavy to hold at time when playing games an hour nonstop but i like the big screen when browsing the internet.

I think Ipad mini are for those who want a smaller Ipad on the go. Take it everywhere and focus on social network similar to Galaxy note. But it would be ridiculous for me to bring to work and use it as Mp3 player or for games play during free lunch time. Ipod touch 5 would be a well better choice. I have no idea why apple would release a product that crossline with their current one.

In sum, if you already owned an Ipad 2 or 3.... get Itouch 5. If you dont have, then get both. Still i do not think Ipad mini is a good idea. Apple is not Samsung, why make so many sizes tablet. Not exciting anymore.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
I am going to go for iPT5.

Retina display, cheaper (not much), and more portable.

(I have an iPad 3 already, no need for another one.)

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
They are two very different devices. Those who say what's the difference just aren't paying attention. Here are the differences.

Touch5 has 1136x640 Retina display at 326 PPI Uses iPhone apps
It's pocketable! Weighs 3.10 ounces. Height: 4.86 inches Width: 2.31 inches Depth: 0.24 inch
No 3G or GPS model No digital compass It has Nike+ support built in.
It comes with 32GB base storage Has a lanyard cord to hold it with.
Starts at $299

Mini has 1024x768 non Retina display at 163 PPI Uses iPad apps
It's not pocketable! Weighs 10.86 ounces Height: 7.87 inches Width: 5.3 inches Depth: 0.28 inch
Can come with 3G and GPS and it has a digital compass built in
Comes with 16GB base storage.
Starts at $329

Last edited:

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
Yes the size is the only difference. The latter is just bigger.;)
Same design, but an iPad mini has that crappy 163ppi display first iPhones had since 2007.... If the iPad mini had retina display, I would've wanted to get it instead of the new touch, but the lack of retina ruins it for me.

Last edited:

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan

I was going to write exactly the same thing..totally agree with you.
I got my ipod touch last week and love it.

I have a ipad and macbook air too, and can't imagine a situation where I would rather use the mini.
If I am at home - laptop or ipad.
If I am out - ipod touch

...where does the mini fit into this?

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Same design, but an iPad mini has that crappy 163ppi display first iPhones had since 2007.... If the iPad mini had retina display, I would've wanted to get it instead of the new touch, but the lack of retina ruins it for me.

Just give it 6 months, it will probably be updated to include the new A6x processor and Retina...:rolleyes:

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
For more storage go with the iPod touch 5. Also if you want it to be portable go with the iPod touch 5.

However the iPad mini starts at $329 only $30 more then the iPod touch. It is quite tempting.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
However the iPad mini starts at $329 only $30 more then the iPod touch. It is quite tempting.
Yesy, but for 30$ more you get half the storage and worse display. If we want to compare, we should put 429$ iPad mini 32GB against 299$ iPod touch 32GB. So in fact an iPad mini is 129$ more expensive and you still get worse screen.

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
Yesy, but for 30$ more you get half the storage and worse display. If we want to compare, we should put 429$ iPad mini 32GB against 299$ iPod touch 32GB. So in fact an iPad mini is 129$ more expensive and you still get worse screen.

Yeah I did see that the iPad mini doesn't have retina. That is kind of the deal breaker I'm having. I'll just wait and play on my 4th gen. Still works like a charm.

Suspended
May 1, 2010
California
Just give it 6 months, it will probably be updated to include the new A6x processor and Retina...:rolleyes:
This is what many are saying is exactly the plan. Apple NEEDED a mini for the xmas season and it needed to be in the ballpark price range of the Nexus 7 as well has some spec that would be better (camera).

It's a already outdated device and those that buy it will not be happy next year.

Consider, the iPT skipped an update, then got it's last update. Even having skipped an update has had retina display now some 3 cycles back and now Apple comes out with a lesser display.

The mini is the one to pass on.

hoodedwarbler12

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
Tennessee
The iTouch is cheaper for twice the storage, a much better screen, and free EarPods. Instead of having shrunk-looking iPad 2 apps, it will have brand new full-size iPhone 5 apps. The processors are the same, so there isn't much difference in speed, but it seems to me that a bigger screen with the same processor would result in slower performance, am I right? The cameras are pretty much identical. The iPod is of course more portable. I can't afford a data plan, so I'm not interested in the cell service offered by the mini. I'm planning to get an iPod touch 5g later in November, and the iPad mini has done nothing to change my plans.

GoodBoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
I'm planning to get an iPod touch 5g later in November, and the iPad mini has done nothing to change my plans.
I suggest you wait till 23rd of November when Apple start one day only Black Friday discounts. You can get the new touch for something like 250-260$ :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.