Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gala

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Just taking bets on how long Tweetbot for Mac will last in the MAS. Once their tokens are out they plan to pull it.

I'm thinking early next year.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Never.

The people who wanted it, already bought it. You're forgetting that there's the official Twitter client and TweetDeck, both which are free. OS X Mountain Lion also has Twitter integration, which is enough for most.

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
You're forgetting that there's the official Twitter client and TweetDeck, both which are free.

Nothing compares to Tweetbot for Mac though! And although the official one is free, the development on it has stopped which means there won't be support for retina displays or any new features that Twitter rolls out.

$20 for a good piece of software is nothing! $20 to get the best experience for Twitter is something that someone has to base their twitter usage on...

squidkitten

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Omaha
At first I thought the price was outrageous, but $20 for an app I use everyday isn't too bad. Especially since Twitter for Mac isn't going to be updated anymore. I love the instant updating, which the regular Twitter app also had, but I especially love the ability to "blacklist" certain words/tags, because many of my friends livetweet along with TV shows, and it's nice to avoid spoilers if I'm not watching at the moment. It just runs great and looks great.

Ram27

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
At first I thought the price was outrageous, but $20 for an app I use everyday isn't too bad. Especially since Twitter for Mac isn't going to be updated anymore. I love the instant updating, which the regular Twitter app also had, but I especially love the ability to "blacklist" certain words/tags, because many of my friends livetweet along with TV shows, and it's nice to avoid spoilers if I'm not watching at the moment. It just runs great and looks great.

The iCloud timeline sync is amazing too.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Nothing compares to Tweetbot for Mac though! And although the official one is free, the development on it has stopped which means there won't be support for retina displays or any new features that Twitter rolls out.

$20 for a good piece of software is nothing! $20 to get the best experience for Twitter is something that someone has to base their twitter usage on...

Trust me, once you either forget to back it up, or it stops functioning, period, because of Twitter API changes, in a few months or so, you won't feel the same. More like, "Why did I buy $20 software that only lasted me 6 months?"

No one NEEDS Tweetbot. Is it nice? Yes. But there are other $20 priced software more worth your time.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I actually used Tweetie for Mac until a few months ago. It stayed worked for a long time. But now I've got used to the web interface and I don't mind it. I'd rather have a cool app but opening the website in Chrome isn't exactly a hassle.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Twitter for shooting third party app developers in the back like this, but I don't think it affects my personal usage much at all.

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
Trust me, once you either forget to back it up, or it stops functioning, period, because of Twitter API changes, in a few months or so, you won't feel the same. More like, "Why did I buy $20 software that only lasted me 6 months?"

I don't think you quite understand how the Twitter API works... Once all tokens are used up, no more users can register to use the application. Existing users will still get full access to the Twitter API!

It is then up to the Tapbots how they go about distributing updates but they WILL continue to support it and there will always be somewhere it can be downloaded from.

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2007
I just purchased Tweetbot for the Mac and it won't launch for me. I keep getting the "This version has timed out. Please download a new one" message. I did use both the alpha and beta versions and never did revoke my token because I was pretty sure I would be getting this as an early Christmas present to myself. I attempted to fix the problem by deleting the app and reinstalling it. I also removed all the old Tweetbot files from my keychain. I've also restarted my Mac. Any suggestions on how I can get this up and running?

-PN

myxomatosis

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2012
Montréal
I don’t usually accept to pay more than 10$ for an app that I don’t use for my job, but I paid the 20 bucks for Tweetbot and honestly, I didn’t regret it a single day since I bought it. This app is near-perfect and it just got better with the last update ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.