Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k3ith

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
New York, NY
I'd just not the same when it's not retina. I know that it's technically a little better than the ipad 2, but if you've gone retina... It's really tough to go back.

I LOVE how the ipad feels in my hand, but apple really missed the mark on leaving out retina. Whenever apple does decide to release an ipad mini with retina, then they have a real winner. As it stands right now, it just feels like a half baked device.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Agreed. I just checked it out at the Apple Store near my place. I'd buy in a second if it had retina. For that price, it definitely should.

I'd just not the same when it's not retina. I know that it's technically a little better than the ipad 2, but if you've gone retina... It's really tough to go back.

I LOVE how the ipad feels in my hand, but apple really missed the mark on leaving out retina. Whenever apple does decide to release an ipad mini with retina, then they have a real winner. As it stands right now, it just feels like a half baked device.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
These kinds of threads are funny (because they're so ridiculous), but apple has only itself to blame. They've been pushing this retina hype for over two years now, so I guess this is what they get.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Silliest thing I've seen. I have an iPad 3 and iPhone 5. I got the iPad mini this morning and it's beautiful. The screen is not as good when using a magnifying glass on it, but overwise it's very nice. Great color and viewing angle.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Silliest thing I've seen. I have an iPad 3 and iPhone 5. I got the iPad mini this morning and it's beautiful. The screen is not as good when using a magnifying glass on it, but overwise it's very nice. Great color and viewing angle.

+1 to all he said

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
These kinds of threads are funny (because they're so ridiculous), but apple has only itself to blame. They've been pushing this retina hype for over two years now, so I guess this is what they get.

I don't think Apple made a mistake here at all.

They are not aiming for customers who prioritize a high density display (like myself). For those people, the iPad 4 is the product to get.

With the iPad mini they are aiming for the "rest of us". When the retina iPad came out, there were quite a number of people posting on this same forum that they didn't see the value in the extra pixels and didn't like the tradeoffs (slightly thicker, slightly heavier, runs hotter, CPU has to work harder, etc.). Many wanted a cheaper option. A lot of people went for the iPad 2 for that reason.

Now they have another option and it's a very nice one. I'm holding one in my hands right now in fact (my wife ordered it). It's a beautiful device. Sure it doesn't win over the retina display fans, but others will love it.

If they put a retina display in the mini, it would have cost more and been a lot thicker and heavier, defeating the purpose. They HAD to go non-retina on this one. At least until the technology improves.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
I love Apple. My own friends would call me a fanboy, but this takes the cake. You guys are drunk on the kool-aid.

Everything about the mini is beautiful except for it's terrible screen. It's ok to say that.

+1 to all he said

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
+1 to all he said

Depends on what you are doing. Text on a white background definitely does not look good or even remotely close to a retina display.

----------

I love Apple. My own friends would call me a fanboy, but this takes the cake. You guys are drunk on the kool-aid.

Everything about the mini is beautiful except for it's terrible screen. It's ok to say that.

Agree. Screen is not great. People normally nit pick but this isn't IMO. The screen is the main point of this device.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012

Love my rMBP and my iPhone 5's display - however the iPad Mini is still usable for me.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008

Agree as well.
I checked out mini and the NookHD today.
The mini is very nice- but the NookHd's screen is far better.
Most posts here- even from folks who bought and seem to be digging the mini- agree the screen is a major weak spot.

nabwong

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
Just walked into the store ready to buy the mini. Then I saw the display and told myself I'd wait for the retina version. Its really hard to go back to non-retina. I'm spoiled but this is a luxury purchase anyway. Lol.

Might as well wait for the best. Right now, I'm totally ok with my asus tablet but the iPad mini is such a great size. Love the screen dimensions for reading. For video, still not as good as nexus 7.

Hopefully next year's model will have retina and it'll be my reading tablet.

drunkbacchus

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
I think I might be one of the few people who actually don't mind the display.

It's not Retina, but it isn't bad by any means. I do wish it was a tad bit brighter, other than that- I am happy with this purchase.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm still on the fence about the display. Photos and videos are ok....and I just mean ok. Browsing is great and the form factor is phenomenal. It's going to boil down to form factor vs retina. Although I can probably hold out and keep the mini until the mini retina comes.

nickftw8686

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
I have been using mine for hours today and it has not gotten hot at all and the weight really is great. The main reason I did not get a bigger iPad was for those reasons. Now i am not saying that when they release a retina mini that it wont run cool and not be heavy but currently its the best option if those are two things you care about.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Just got my mini a few minutes ago. I can definitely see the difference in the screen, but for me the smaller form factor more than makes up for it for now.

I will definitely upgrade to a retina mini when available...assuming it also has an A6X.

As far as typing goes I like this mini a lot better. I can still touch type using all but my pinky fingers and it actually is more comfortable because of the smaller key spacing. And I also have fairly large hands...

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
The ipad mini screen IS disappointing when compared to retina ipad.

But everything else about it is top notch. It feels nice to actually be able to hold my ipad and be comfortable doing it! The screen is disappointing if going from a retina ipad. But the positives truly outweigh the negatives.

This little gadget is amazing! It also seems to be very fast. No regrets whatsoever thus far. The more I use the mini the less the screen bothers me. If you're looking for a truly portable tablet, then this is the way to go overall IMO. And the screen isn't bad, it's just disappointing when coming from a retina screen.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

I feel the same way but bought one anyway. At $329 I can live w/ the screen till next gen. Next gen a Retina screen is imperative.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Well, I agree. I just don't understand anyone who says they can't tell the difference though. It's glaringly obvious to me when looking at text of any kind. Whether it's the home screen or iBooks or Safari. Still.. it's such a thin and light device. If it were retina I would be in heaven. Maybe next year it will be.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
It is always noticeable. I find it worse though when I view web pages such as this one.
Well, I agree. I just don't understand anyone who says they can't tell the difference though. It's glaringly obvious to me when looking at text of any kind. Whether it's the home screen or iBooks or Safari. Still.. it's such a thin and light device. If it were retina I would be in heaven. Maybe next year it will be.

iAi

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
You have to use that as subject title so you'll thread get more attention. Well, you succeeded just like the similar threads which you should have used for the OP. :D

Enjoy your mini, am jealous.

nickftw8686

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
I have been defending the screen in other threads on the mini, and yes it is not as good as the retina screen, but why would anyone think it would be as good lol. The screen is still good for what it is, and I enjoy using it. I would never and have never expected the screen to be as good as a retina screen, that is just setting it up to fail before you even use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.