Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Pros:
Amazon - No sales tax, which can be significant. Sales tax can make a computer you select on Amazon a better deal than that what can be had at an EDU discount in the Apple store. Amazon is also a good place to shop for HD/SSD upgrades.

Apple - the Refurb store is more likely to have the computer with the config you need at the best price around. It is well organized and easy to navigate. In comparison, Best Buy and Amazon are somewhat like sifting through the ginormous $5 movie bin at Walmart.

Cons:
Amazon - No antiglare option. Antiglare is also hard to find on Bestbuy.com. No CTO option - WYSIWYG.

Apple - Highly expensive CTO upgrades. Get your upgrades elsewhere.

Neutral:
Shipping is fast and free on both sites.

When comparing prices, check out B&N. They have more configurations than Amazon although you don't have the flexibility to configure as at Apple.com. Another handy tool is Refurb.me.

rovitotv

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2009
I just purchased a Mac Book Pro 13" i7 from Amazon and it was a great experience!

I just purchased a Mac Book Pro 13" non retina i7 from Amazon and it was a great experience. It got shipped to my house within two days even though I used standard shipping. No tax really helps. I went to AppleInsider.com for their famous price guide:
http://appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/

And picked the vendor I was most comfortable that had the lowest price (which for me was amazon.com). Macmall looks like the cheapest but I have never done business with them and it was hard to tell if they charged tax. I figured an extra $43 was worth the comfort in the vendor I selected especially when you are paying for a $1400+ computer. The refurb store had a good deal on the same computer at $1269 but after you add tax and shipping the difference is less than $100. Again why take the risk and get a refurb when you can get a new one for $100 difference. For me I keep my Macs for 3 - 5 years so an extra $143 is not worth the risk to me.

Columbian

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
Again why take the risk and get a refurb when you can get a new one for $100 difference.

What is "the risk" in getting a refurb? It comes with same warranty and is eligible for AC. If anything, it has gone through quality control one more time than a new item.

rovitotv

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2009
The risk is time lost....

The risk is time lost....what if the refurb computer is a lemon? Maybe since he goes through quality control it won't be a lemon. I think the worst part about the refurb store is you are buying a used computer for $1200. I just can't stomach that a used computer costs that much, to me that is lots of money so I would rather have a new one especially if the different is $100. It just is not worth it to me. For some people maybe it is worth the risk.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
The risk is time lost....what if the refurb computer is a lemon? Maybe since he goes through quality control it won't be a lemon. I think the worst part about the refurb store is you are buying a used computer for $1200. I just can't stomach that a used computer costs that much, to me that is lots of money so I would rather have a new one especially if the different is $100. It just is not worth it to me. For some people maybe it is worth the risk.

In my mind, a refurb is a machine that I know has gone through a qc process. Its actually a safer bet, because you know that machine has been tested before it goes out

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
I just went through this a few days ago. I'm assuming you are purchasing New, I wouldn't want to buy a used machine from Amazon from other sellers....

Anyways, the machine I purchased was for my sister. She didn't need anything fancy, custom ordered, etc. Ended up purchasing the older version of the 13" Macbook Pro. It was $999 with no sales tax! We "splurged" for overnight shipping ($4 with Amazon Prime!) and received it the next day.

We were contemplating getting her the current gen but it was $100 more and nothing she really needed. She will be doing the standard college girl stuff - FB, MS Office, etc. USB 3.0 and a slightly better video card she didn't really care for, want to pay for, or understand the difference!

I wouldn't hesitate buying from Amazon, but make sure the machine is something you really want. I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of shipping such an expensive machine back and then worrying about their opinion on the condition of the item - even with a reputable business such as Amazon. Apple would be better for that.

But for $1,004 shipped overnight with NO tax (tax was about $60-80, even on the refurbished ones!), It was a great buy.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Amazon is charging sales tax in more and more states, such as Texas and California. Within a year or so they will be charging in all states. So, that advantage is fading for most of us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.