Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reminisce32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
I'm looking at a mid-level 2012 mac mini for video editing and I'm not sure if I will need discrete graphics. I'm new to mac so I want to see if iMovie can do what I need (basic edits of 5GB HD 1 hour long video files in either MPEG-2 TS Video (.TS), AVCHD Video (.M2TS), or MP4 Video(.MP4) formats).

Should I be concerned? What role does a GPU play in editing in iMovie? If the lack of discrete graphics slows things down, will it slow down importing, editing, exporting, or all?

Thanks.

Penn Jennings

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Michigan
I'm looking at a mid-level 2012 mac mini for video editing and I'm not sure if I will need discrete graphics. I'm new to mac so I want to see if iMovie can do what I need (basic edits of 5GB HD 1 hour long video files in either MPEG-2 TS Video (.TS), AVCHD Video (.M2TS), or MP4 Video(.MP4) formats).

Should I be concerned? What role does a GPU play in editing in iMovie? If the lack of discrete graphics slows things down, will it slow down importing, editing, exporting, or all?

Thanks.

I was waiting to see what responses you got from from people with a lot of experience in this area, sadly none so far. Anyway, A fast GPU should speed up rendering but considering you will have a quad core i7, your performance per dollar will be pretty good with a mini. If you are a paid professional, i.e time is money, you might want to think hard about a mini. Just my 2 cents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.