Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tadziak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
Hello,
I just came back from the Genius Bar, had my rMBP screen replaced due to ghosting. The screen is okay (Samsung), however the computer is unusable, get 500% Kernel cpu usage all the time. Fans spinning like crazy and Geniuses were hopeless claiming it might be some sensors that got damaged. The thing is that I can't even have my Mac replaced here in Germany, because I have a different keyboard layout.

Has anyone had simmilar experience? Is there any way to fix the problem?

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
This doesnt sound good seen as i've just sent mine in to get the screen replaced.

Hope I have a better experience when it comes back...

Don't let one bad post worry you too much. I just got mine back in less than 24 hours with no issues at all.

Just check that the display looks good and that they didn't cause any damage to the case. I'd pay attention to how the hinge fell/meets up with the case as well.

I went ahead and check my camera too just in case that's a separate connection and they didn't hook it up.

My Samsung replacement for the LG has no issues.

tadziak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
isn't cpu usage a software issue? have you tried a clean install of osx?

In theory yes, but in this case - no. The system is pretty clean, I have barely used it so far and computer is 3 weeks old. There was no issue before screen replacement and now it's going crazy even in "safe boot mode". Also the Apple Service Diagnostics reports problems...

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Hello,
I just came back from the Genius Bar, had my rMBP screen replaced due to ghosting. The screen is okay (Samsung), however the computer is unusable, get 500% Kernel cpu usage all the time. Fans spinning like crazy and Geniuses were hopeless claiming it might be some sensors that got damaged. The thing is that I can't even have my Mac replaced here in Germany, because I have a different keyboard layout.

Has anyone had simmilar experience? Is there any way to fix the problem?

The only way to fix the problem is to let apple deal with it. I know it may be a pita but you should get a whole new computer from apple because they messed it up.

tadziak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
The only way to fix the problem is to let apple deal with it. I know it may be a pita but you should get a whole new computer from apple because they messed it up.

I called Apple Care today, redirected me to Apple Online Store, which told me that since my computer has been already serviced, it's no longer qualifying for replacement. Apple Care itself insist on trying to repair the machine, delivered it to our local authorised service partner for "diagnosis". Overall it does not look promissing, probably I will have it in service untill Christmas and they are going to replace part by part...

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I called Apple Care today, redirected me to Apple Online Store, which told me that since my computer has been already serviced, it's no longer qualifying for replacement. Apple Care itself insist on trying to repair the machine, delivered it to our local authorised service partner for "diagnosis". Overall it does not look promissing, probably I will have it in service untill Christmas and they are going to replace part by part...

I think the policy is if they can't fix within three attempts then you are entitled to a new machine.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Nope, try six, and even then it isn't a hard and fast rule.

That's right. Maybe it's three separate issues then. Three separate issues indicates you may have a lemon and apple will give you a new machine. At least that's what they did for me. My HDD, camera, and microphone all failed at once and they gave me a new machine.

tadziak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2011
I wanted to thank you guys for your feedback. It took some effort (including leaving my rMBP for diagnosis at a local service), but Apple Care accepted my request for the replacement machine and they will organize it over next week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.