Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrdm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
If you don't own an iPad, now is a great time to jump in. For everyone else - wait until next year. Trust me.

The jump from 3 to 4 is not worth it. Apps are not yet taking advantage of the increased horsepower and with the release of the mini and continued sales of ipad 2 they won't for some time. Google the comparisons between the two and you will see there is no substantial difference (placebo effect notwithstanding :).

The iPad 2 and 3 use the same processor so if you already own the 2 and haven't been swayed by the retina screen - no reason to change now.

If you own an original ipad and have waited this long - 12 more months until the next release won't make a difference.

The 5 will see a new form factor (iPhone 5 and mini-like), lighter weight, thinner, increased storage and quad core processors. Competition from android and MSFT will drive these changes. It will represent the true PC replacement for most users and is worth holding out for.

Sorry for all the recent upgraders and the only thing I can say is resale will be your friend :).

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
No...

We should wait for the iPad 8, which will have 15 cores, 10GB RAM, 500GB SSD and can fly...

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Actually, I'm using as motivation to jump from and iPad 3 to an Android Tablet.

I use Andoid & iOS Tablets. The Nexus 7 I have is a great model.

Soon the Nexus 10 will be released, that's one I'm also looking forward to buying.

Both the 7 & 10" sizes are quite useful. I use the large ones at home and the 7" sizes when out & about.

You will really like your Android Tablet.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
The iPad 2 and 3 use the same processor so if you already own the 2 and haven't been swayed by the retina screen - no reason to change now.

So much nonsense here it's silly. The 2 and 3 use very different processors (3 has quad-core graphics), also twice the RAM and a dramatically better camera. The ipad3 is noticeably quicker than the 2, especially with a lot of apps running, and the camera is usable (the ipad2's is hopeless).

But how does any of this make sense anyway? For ipad1 and 2 owners, the jump to 3 is significant, and the jump to 4 even more so. The only thing I'd agree with is there's little point in upgrading from a 3 to a 4...

mrdm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
No...

We should wait for the iPad 8, which will have 15 cores, 10GB RAM, 500GB SSD and can fly...

The old "there is always something better around the corner argument." That's fine if you want to wait 5-8 years from now. I'm trying to give practical, short term advice. I'm talking about 12 months - big difference.

----------

So much nonsense here it's silly. The 2 and 3 use very different processors (3 has quad-core graphics), also twice the RAM and a dramatically better camera. The ipad3 is noticeably quicker than the 2, especially with a lot of apps running, and the camera is usable (the ipad2's is hopeless).

But how does any of this make sense anyway? For ipad1 and 2 owners, the jump to 3 is significant, and the jump to 4 even more so. The only thing I'd agree with is there's little point in upgrading from a 3 to a 4...

Lol - gimme a break. The ipad 3 quad core was to support retina only. Check out geekbench scores, the 2 and the 3 have similar system performance. The 3 is NOT noticeably faster than the 2. In fact, the 2 is slightly faster.

Do your homework before you call something nonsense.

Last edited:

kalt

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
the ipad 9 will be literally paper thin, "printed" on special plastic. It will have Mega-Retina Display. And best of all it will go up to 128 gigs!

Just wait for that.

mrdm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
Beat me to it!

You people crack me up. Lol. Don't you understand I'm talking about in the short term? Of course there will always be faster and better in the years to come.

michelob tfs

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Falkirk, Scotland
You should be charging for advice like that. It's almost priceless.

If only everyone was so generous what a great world we would live in...

Many people will thank you one day long time apple fan. :cool:

mrdm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
You should be charging for advice like that. It's almost priceless.

If only everyone was so generous what a great world we would live in...

Many people will thank you one day long time apple fan. :cool:

Why the anger?

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
I think everyone should wait for Ipad X because that will be the best.:confused::apple:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Hey Mr Wisdom! What's your advice gonna be for us next year? Should we get the ipad 5 you recommend waiting for now, or should we then wait just a few short months (12) for the much better ipad 6? Lemme guess...ipad 6?

Please guide us. We trust you.

----------

How about contributing something instead of being sarcastic?

Wait, are you saying that telling us to wait for the ipad 5 is actually contributing something?

mrdm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
Hey Mr Wisdom! What's your advice gonna be for us next year? Should we get the ipad 5 you recommend waiting for now, or should we then wait just a few short months (12) for the much better ipad 6? Lemme guess...ipad 6?

Please guide us. We trust you.

----------

Wait, are you saying that telling us to wait for the ipad 5 is actually contributing something?

Yes.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010

And yet it performs the same because all the extra power is used on the extra pixels.

The camera and ram yes, power no. In fact the ipad 3 can be SLOWER at times than the ipad 2.

----------

the ipad 9 will be literally paper thin, "printed" on special plastic. It will have Mega-Retina Display. And best of all it will go up to 128 gigs!

Just wait for that.

Nah that'll be the nexus 2500.

The ipad 9 will be printed on glass with little specs of aluminum embedded inside.

children

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
Gosh, leave the poor guy alone

He has a valid point, IMO the iPad 4 is much like iPhone 4S, great upgrade from the iPhone 4, but not dramatic.
For instance, if I had an iPhone 4, I would think twice before upgrading to a 4s, instead, I would have waited for the iPhone 5. Same goes here, if you have an ipad 3 (or even a 2 to an extent), you may as well wait it out of the major revision (speculative educated guess).

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo

He has a valid point, IMO the iPad 4 is much like iPhone 4S, great upgrade from the iPhone 4, but not dramatic.
For instance, if I had an iPhone 4, I would think twice before upgrading to a 4s, instead, I would have waited for the iPhone 5. Same goes here, if you have an ipad 3 (or even a 2 to an extent), you may as well wait it out of the major revision (speculative educated guess).

The valid point above is that there are better times to upgrade on the Apple cycle than others. If you are new to iPad, its a good time to go for the 4. If you are upgrading from 2 or 3, its good to wait. Its that simple of advice.

Lets not bash the OP!

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

Yeah, don't know why everyone here is giving a guy trying to be helpful so much crap.

Totally agree with the OP. I am selling my iPad 3 and got a Mini. Gonna sit this generation out iPad 4 is a good product if you need a solid tablet but the next one really is the a better upgrade.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
I fully agree it's not worth upgrading 3 to 4, of course not. OP said if you don't have an ipad, get one, otherwise, don't bother upgrading. I.e. *any* upgrade of ipad isn't worth it to a 4. I don't agree, and think that ipad 1 or 2 is well worth upgrading to a 4. Particularly from ipad2 right now, as Apple themselves are holding up the value of the ipad2 and hence you can sell it as a "current" model. I doubt this will last much longer, and am a bit surprised they held on to the ipad2 with the introduction of the mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.