Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bennytsmithjr

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
So i have two issues i want to solve. I would like a router to improve my wireless connection in my house while also needing a storage device to use along my macbook pro retina. I was thinking of purchasing a Time Capsule and airport extreme to boost my wireless connection through my house, but after reading reviews of the time capsule I'm a little worried about the device failing and loosing my data...... What would you all suggest? Is there a better option out there for storage? or is the time capsule the best solution to use along with my new mac?

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
My Time Capsule just died too (the HD, not the router) - it's about 4 years old. Airport Expresses work great to extend the network.

I'm thinking of replacing the TC with a wireless router (no hard disk) and a separate external drive attached to it for Time Machine backups. Might go with the Airport Extreme Base Station for the router, but I haven't researched it much yet, please post with whatever you decide to do, might help me and others in the same boat.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
but after reading reviews of the time capsule I'm a little worried about the device failing and loosing my data...... What would you all suggest?
Personally, I like the Time Capsule because I'm not reliable enough for the alternative, which is to remember to plug an external drive into my MacBook Air on a regular basis.

I let my Mac backup to a Time Capsule. To protect against the Time Capsule failing, or someone breaking into my house and stealing my Air + the Time Capsule (or the whole house burning down), I have a $100 USB 3 external drive that I normally leave at work. Once a month I have a calendar reminder remind me to take that drive home, plug it into the Air and let the Air do a Time Machine backup to it. With Mountain Lion, OS X can have multiple Time Machine backup sources (a Time Capsule and that external USB 3 drive, in my case), and it keeps things straight. If the Time Capsule fails, worse case is I've lost up to 30 days of data. I could always bring that drive home more frequently, but I'm OK with 30 days.

Even if you decide not to use a Time Capsule (and opt for using Time Machine to an external drive), there's still a chance that drive could fail, loosing all of your data. So I still think having a second external drive to backup your backup drive is still a good idea, if you really want to lessen the chances of data loss. :)

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
All hard drives die eventually. If your backup dies, presumably you have the original /current data on your machine still (which is what a time capsule is aimed at).

If you're looking for somewhere to offload data from your machine (so there's only one copy of it), you need something else, like a NAS with redundant drives in it, AND a backup of that (for the "oh crap i deleted it" moments).

Bennytsmithjr

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Personally, I like the Time Capsule because I'm not reliable enough for the alternative, which is to remember to plug an external drive into my MacBook Air on a regular basis.

I let my Mac backup to a Time Capsule. To protect against the Time Capsule failing, or someone breaking into my house and stealing my Air + the Time Capsule (or the whole house burning down), I have a $100 USB 3 external drive that I normally leave at work. Once a month I have a calendar reminder remind me to take that drive home, plug it into the Air and let the Air do a Time Machine backup to it. With Mountain Lion, OS X can have multiple Time Machine backup sources (a Time Capsule and that external USB 3 drive, in my case), and it keeps things straight. If the Time Capsule fails, worse case is I've lost up to 30 days of data. I could always bring that drive home more frequently, but I'm OK with 30 days.

Even if you decide not to use a Time Capsule (and opt for using Time Machine to an external drive), there's still a chance that drive could fail, loosing all of your data. So I still think having a second external drive to backup your backup drive is still a good idea, if you really want to lessen the chances of data loss. :)

I see... This makes since also. I take a lot of pictures for real estate and do some video work, so i would like a place to store all of that content off my macbook. My biggest challenge that i would like to fix it my internet connection at home. I have time warner cables 50/5mbs and i only receive 15-30mbs. I have heard that the air extreme and an extension can help boost signal so that is what im looking to do.... Another option may be to upgrade the modem i am renting from TWC and mix that along with an airport extreme + extension.

Your input is welcome.....thank you

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I like TimeCapsule vs. Airport Express/Extreme with USB drive just because it more seamless and clean. TimeCapsule also backs up multiple macs my house w/o me having to remember to do it. I keep manual redundant backups of my projects on a NAS as well.

I believe the issue with the TimeCasule hardware failure was resolved in the most recent generation.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I will go with....

The Time Capsule/Airport Extreme combo. That setup "just works". But having said this, I also suggest:

a) Mantain a backup of your important data in another drive, as some posters had said. Maybe a stock USB 2.0/3.0 drive can fit the bill? I suggest this for peace of mind/precaution

b) I dont know for sure if AppleCare is available for Time Capsule hardware. If available, that can be a good option to buy

:):apple:

Fireslayer

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2009
So i have two issues i want to solve. I would like a router to improve my wireless connection in my house while also needing a storage device to use along my macbook pro retina. I was thinking of purchasing a Time Capsule and airport extreme to boost my wireless connection through my house, but after reading reviews of the time capsule I'm a little worried about the device failing and loosing my data...... What would you all suggest? Is there a better option out there for storage? or is the time capsule the best solution to use along with my new mac?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Give SERIOUS reconsideration if you are planning on using LaCie external hard drive. I wish that I had know about their weak link before buying one.
I spent a pretty fair amount of money and now I find out that the power transformer doesn't last and they refuse to stand behind their product. They know that the transformers are crap, and you expect your external to be automatically backing up, but then you find out that you haven't been getting power.
CRAP CRAP CRAP. I am not sure right now which external to replace it with, but I won't be on the hook to them every year buying a replacement ($30) transformer. I expected more from them.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I use a Mac Mini based server with 500gb internal and 2 2tb external drives. Works great for a central storage site and time machine backups. One of the drives houses all our media and the other is the backup drive. The internal drive holds critical info and is backed up to the external drive. Advantage is that I can put it anywhere in the house that I have a LAN connection and can place my airport for best reception.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.