Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
Its interesting to see on this board - the posts claiming the iPad mini is the greatest iPad ever to the mini being the downfall of Apple.

Always heated discussions among Apple fans!:D

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Its interesting to see on this board - the posts claiming the iPad mini is the greatest iPad ever to the mini being the downfall of Apple.

These are people who are still "euphorically" high from their mini purchase. Apple people are very opinionated but the high will go away for many in a few days. It sure did for me.

rprr

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
These are people who are still "euphorically" high from their mini purchase. Apple people are very opinionated but the high will go away for many in a few days. It sure did for me.
I assume that the same holds true for the "lows" as well ;)

Maso1

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012

Speaking for myself, my high for iPad3 just started, seven months after the act
:D

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Speaking for myself, my high for iPad3 just started, seven months after the act
:D

Me too, I still love my iPad 3 and will keep it, but adding the 4 LTE later this month

No "euphoric high" here. How do I turn that feature on? Is it in settings? :D

Joking aside; coming from an original iPad, it's not too shabby.

If you are coming from an iPad 1 then you should really be happy. The mini represents CHOICE. Apple has dropped to about 50% of tablet users so they have some real competition to deal with.

Choice is always good!:)

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I can't help but laugh when I read some of the negative posts, especially about the display. I had two iPad 3's and sold each one. Both had backlight bleeding and color tint issues, so simply having a retina display is not the be all, end all spec.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I was ready to run out and get one, but honestly I expected more. More current technology (A6) or at least a lower price for yesterday's technology.

But, the product seems to have found a niche and its good to see that it is successful and many people like it.

As with any Apple product, I've found the best advice is avoid the first launch and wait until at least the first update.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I was ready to run out and get one, but honestly I expected more. More current technology (A6) or at least a lower price for yesterday's technology.

But, the product seems to have found a niche and its good to see that it is successful and many people like it.

As with any Apple product, I've found the best advice is avoid the first launch and wait until at least the first update.

Something really important to consider is would you have it more than a year? If the answer is no, then the hardware is more than enough to get you by during the next year. Most of the hardware we get is such overkill for the length of time we keep the product. For example, the ipad 4 is a beast...but many of us will dump it for the 5 before that hardware even becomes useful. plus, at $329 I would consider the mini very disposable.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I'm actually considering a Nexus 7 when the 32GB/3G model comes out - seems much closer to what I think the price point should be.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

I personally like the people who justify their purchase by saying "I find myself grabbing my mini instead of my iPad" or "I haven't stopped using it since I bought it". Well...of course, you just bought it. Why wouldn't you be over using it?

----------

As long as you don't mind running upsized phone apps. :)

What do you think the mini runs? Apps developed specifically for the mini?

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
As long as you don't mind running upsized phone apps. :)
IMO, Apps are overrated.

I got a 16GB Mini so I've been clearing out room in order to optimize my space and one thing I discovered was how many apps I DONT use. Unplayed games are in everyones library but things like tech apps (Ars, Engadget), News, Weather, Stores etc are no longer important since the websites are now optimized for tablets.

I strongly prefer iOS so its nice to know such a huge app library exists in our ecosystem but in the end then claiming "billions of apps" or "tablet optimized" is becoming overrated and IF a platform has the essentials (Netflix, Kindle, Instapaper etc) then for AVERAGE users then the rest is all fluff.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I personally like the people who justify their purchase by saying "I find myself grabbing my mini instead of my iPad" or "I haven't stopped using it since I bought it". Well...of course, you just bought it. Why wouldn't you be over using it?

----------

What do you think the mini runs? Apps developed specifically for the mini?
Thats somewhat true but you could always be one of those people who returns their device?

Also the mini runs on the a5 32nm...not an a5...

Im sorry but upsized iPhone apps is quite a bit different from iPad apps that were made for the iPad in the current resolutions available.

A5 32nm

----------

It's a great device.

I have a nexus 7 and i used it for the first few days but outside of testing my app on it I haven't used it honestly.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011

Same as any other discussion forum site. Everyone's an armchair expert.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
For me, it came down to figuring out which I value more: weight or clarity?

I haven't purchased a full-size iPad as of yet because I kept asking myself, "Am I *really* going to walk around with this thing? If it's just going to sit on my desk, how is it any different from my MBA?"

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I also think it depends from where you come. If this is your first iPad or come from an iPad 1 your opinion of the mini is different than if you have an iPhone and an iPad 3. Also, I'm sure depends upon what you plan to or have done with your mini so far.

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
I bought one of each today. My wife preferred the mini simply because it is compact and light. She can put it in her purse (would she ever find it again? :confused:) For her purposes the screen is great and she's been using it for several hours now with no fatigue..

I am the happy owner of the 4th gen. Love the screen, performance and overall solid feel. Among all my other uses, I'll be reading on it and certainly don't feel it's too big, bulky or heavy.

It is quite simply a case of what suits one person won't suit all.. Each to their own preference. And for what it's worth our choices suit us perfectly.

For those thinking of buying, go check the different models and then make your choice and don't look back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.