Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I've purchased a few applications on my MacBook over the years. I am now awaiting delivery of a Mac mini server.
Can I also install a couple of these applications I have previously purchased, on the new Mac mini as well as having them on the MacBook as well, or do I need to purchase an additional copy for another system?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've purchased a few applications on my MacBook over the years. I am now awaiting delivery of a Mac mini server.
Can I also install a couple of these applications I have previously purchased, on the new Mac mini as well as having them on the MacBook as well, or do I need to purchase an additional copy for another system?
It depends on the app. Some only permit installation on one computer at a time; others allow multiple installations. Check the software license agreements for the apps in question.

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia

If you purchased them on the Mac App Store, they are licensed for you to use on any number of Macs you own. For more traditionally distributed software, you must refer to each of the app's respective end-user license agreement (EULA). Some apps are licensed only for one computer, some for e.g. three computers used by one user, some may be unlimited.

EDIT - GGJstudios, you beat me. Sorry for a double reply. :-D

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Depends on the license of the app and the usage.

For apps purchased from the app store:

1. Private use: You may install on any number of Macs that you own and control.
2. Commercial use case 1: You may install on any number of Macs that are used exclusively by the some person.
3. Commercial use case 2: You may install on one Mac which may be used by any number of users.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Great, thanks guys.
It's for personal home use, and purchased via the Mac App Store, so I should be OK to install on the second system ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.