Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dnkbro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
I purchased an iPhone 4S last year on release date as an upgrade on my AT&T line. A month ago I was having issues with the phone so I got a warranty replacement at the apple store. I work at T-Mobile and was playing around with my phone today and I put a T-Mobile microsim in the phone and it worked. Has anyone else experienced this? A search on macrumors says that apple gives like for like but mine is unlocked.

dnkbro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Coincidently, I did submit a request to get my imei unlocked via unlock fusion on eBay but I did that today and I never restored my phone on iTunes or got a response back so I'm 99% sure it wasn't that.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
If the unlock was processed by unlock_fusion, then any replacement for that device should be unlocked (as well).

That makes the most sense.

dnkbro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
The unlock request was done today for this phone (the replacement). I never requested anything for the previous phone.

bcooln

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Florida
it happen to me today, i went to exchange swap my ip5, the girl exchange the phone to me told me it was lock to att, she put the att sim card in to activate it, i thought it was lock, so i just put my tmobile sim in there just incase i lose it. i was about to bought the unlock fusion, but i check my phone, i have tmobile service. so i guess it was unlock

bcooln

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Florida
it happen to me today, i went to exchange swap my ip5, the girl exchange the phone to me told me it was lock to att, she put the att sim card in to activate it, i thought it was lock, so i just put my tmobile sim in there just incase i lose it. i was about to bought the unlock fusion, but i check my phone, i have tmobile service. so i guess it was unlock

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I purchased an iPhone 4S last year on release date as an upgrade on my AT&T line. A month ago I was having issues with the phone so I got a warranty replacement at the apple store. I work at T-Mobile and was playing around with my phone today and I put a T-Mobile microsim in the phone and it worked. Has anyone else experienced this? A search on macrumors says that apple gives like for like but mine is unlocked.

When you get an iPhone factory unlocked, it is registered in Apple's system as an unlocked device. When you get it replaced at Apple, their system automatically transfers the SIMlock status from one device to the other.

Your IMEI must have been processed before you took it into the store. Otherwise this would not have happened.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.