Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeachChair

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm using Sennheiser HD595, but have to run them at the very lowest volume.

I was thinking of getting some headphones with more impedance to match the apparently pretty powerful output of the rMBP15. Anyone found a good match for the rMBP?

~robbert

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2012
On my HD590 everything is loud, but still ok with three, four or five blocks of volume. Things get loud above six blocks. Same with a couple of earbuds.

You can finetune with option-shift volumekey.

Edit:

HD590: 120 Ohm
HD595: 50 Ohm

Get an older HD590 ;-)

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
You can also try Boom:
http://www.globaldelight.com/boom/

It says it's for increasing your output but you can also decrease it. You simply have a system-wide EQ with a "preamp" control similar to iTunes' EQ.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
I like the headphones that come with the iPhone 5 quite a lot.
... as for headsets, yeah Sennheiser is good ( have been using their stuff for years ).

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I'm using Sennheiser HD595, but have to run them at the very lowest volume.

I was thinking of getting some headphones with more impedance to match the apparently pretty powerful output of the rMBP15. Anyone found a good match for the rMBP?

Impedance mostly affects damping factor and frequency response (for high impedance source) and power required to increase volume, but not necessarily the baseline volume.

I think you are looking for a headphone with lower sensitivity here. Sensitivity would affect volume more than impedance. The HD 595 has a sensitivity rating of 112dB at 1mW, so it gets friggin' loud right off the bat without you pumping any extra voltage.

On that note, try the HD 650. It's rated 103dB at 1mW so it won't get too loud, and you can safely max out the volume of your Retina MacBook without setting off the 110dB safety limit of human hearing since the rMBP needs to somehow offset the 300 Ohm impedance of the HD 650 to get that extra 7dB (hint: that requires a hell of a lot of power). HD 650 is also quite a sizable upgrade for your HD 595.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Don't try Boom before you investigate all their sneaky send-info-back-to-the-corporation business.

Also, it really screwed up Retina sound. I was looking up info about it when I discovered the phoning-home business. Never again.

You can also try Boom:
http://www.globaldelight.com/boom/

It says it's for increasing your output but you can also decrease it. You simply have a system-wide EQ with a "preamp" control similar to iTunes' EQ.

stormcreate

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2011
I use Shure SRH440 Headphones, they are pretty good and work well with the rMBP, they have a lot of depth and punch without being too overpowering.

They have a sensitivity of 105 dB SPL/mW

Impedance is 44 ohms, 40mm driver

hughw

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2012
Bath/Bristol, UK
I really like my Audio Technica ATH-M50's.
They have a really flat response, so you can colour them as you wish with an EQ. They're also pretty reasonably priced at around £140 in the UK.

Hugh

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
My HD 220's are going extremely strong since late 2010. Really good set, got it for like £20 and its a steal considering the quality.

icecoldart

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
Europe-Poland
My HD 220's are going extremely strong since late 2010. Really good set, got it for like £20 and its a steal considering the quality.

Excuse me if i sound rude, but you clearly did not hear a good pair of headphones if you're recommending those senns.

ATH m50's are probably the best bang for your $ but they can get uncomfortable for a longer listening periods.

To be honest go to headfi.org, and you'll get all the answers you seek.

p.s stay away from s.h.i.t like beats by dre, those headphones are nothing but bloating bass which is 10 times more overpriced than apple products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.