Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
mobile flash has been killed by Adobe already.

Workaround?

- Most videos just work for iPhone / iPad / any smartphone / tablet via HTML 5.
- A lot of previously all flash sites have been redesigned with HTML5 already
- I haven't encountered any problem with "missing Flash plugin" for a long time, at least since the past year after mobile Flash was discontinued.

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Unfortunately, many medical eBook sites still require Flash - LWW thePoint, Rockwood Solution, and Wiesel's OTiOS come to mind. I would love a workaround for these...

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
So is the website itself flash and you need flash to download the eBook? Or are the eBooks themselves flash-based, which makes no sense to me? Or something else?

If it's the first, you could easily download them from your computer, load them into iTunes, and then just sync with your iPad

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
There are plenty of sites where the videos do not work. Lets not pretend that its not a real issue.

The only alternative is to use another browser.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
There are plenty of sites where the videos do not work. Lets not pretend that its not a real issue.

The only alternative is to use another browser.

It should be a real issue if you own a website, especially if you get a lot of traffic from mobile devices. Consider how much traffic comes from iOS, which can't use Flash out-of-the-box. Suddenly, your 'customers' aren't able to view your content, and may leave. Would that be an issue to you?

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
So is the website itself flash and you need flash to download the eBook? Or are the eBooks themselves flash-based, which makes no sense to me? Or something else?

If it's the first, you could easily download them from your computer, load them into iTunes, and then just sync with your iPad

The books are displayed in an adobe flash interface; you need flash to turn pages and view the actual content.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Even Android tablets going forward (Jelly bean onwards) have opted to no longer support flash. (Yes it can be installed manually, but is no longer being updated and there will come a point to fails to work on devices with updated OS software).

Sadly OP if you need some access to flash content then try skyfire browser, but as for integrated flash into an application, not a chance.

----------

Unfortunately, many medical eBook sites still require Flash - LWW thePoint, Rockwood Solution, and Wiesel's OTiOS come to mind. I would love a workaround for these...

Maye they will issue them eventually as embedded / enhanced ebooks, but otherwise currently no workaround would do this.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
Try any of the following browsers:

Photon
iSwifter
Puffin
Skyfire

Finally, OnLive Desktop has the best quality for video streaming in my experience but requires a subscription. Since you're looking to view books the above should be adequate.

Hope that helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.