Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ash211

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2012
I want to sell my iPad 2 and get a new iPad should I get:
iPad 4 16gb LTE
iPad 4 32 gb wifi
Or some version of mini iPad

I don't buy too many apps or games and I have a wifi hard drive for streaming movies so I'm not sure I need more than 16 gb of storage.

I have an iPhone 5 that I can use as a wifi hotspot so I'm not sure I need LTE...but I often get interrupted in the field and constantly turning on my phone and iPad and reconnecting them all the time gets a little annoying so built in LTE would be nice. Then again connecting an LTE tablet to my phone plan would cost me $10 a month just for having it on my plan and not sure it's worth the extra cash to do so.

The size of the mini would be nice and going from an iPad 2 I probably wouldn't notice the poor screen as much. The cheaper price is also a bonus.

I use my iPad at home for general web browsing and I would use it on the go for watching movies and web browsing and I would use it at work for writing 1 to 2 page word compatible documents. I spend the majority of my day at work in a car.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
You could do a 32gb LTE mini for cheaper then both the iPad 4 options. It really depends if you like the mini form factor though. And if you can't afford the LTE plan now, you don't have to get it yet. You could try out the iPhone 5 hotspot for awhile, and once you can afford the 10 a month, you have the option. Plus you still get the 32gb storage; all for less then both options.

Really comes down to preference though.

ash211

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2012
You could do a 32gb LTE mini for cheaper then both the iPad 4 options. It really depends if you like the mini form factor though. And if you can't afford the LTE plan now, you don't have to get it yet. You could try out the iPhone 5 hotspot for awhile, and once you can afford the 10 a month, you have the option. Plus you still get the 32gb storage; all for less then both options.

Really comes down to preference though.

I can afford the $10 a month I just am wondering out loud if its worth it to pay that just to not have to turn on my phone and reconnect it to my iPad every time I get interrupted. Also, by connecting my iPhone and iPad to get onto the Internet I am draining the battery on two devices.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I can afford the $10 a month I just am wondering out loud if its worth it to pay that just to not have to turn on my phone and reconnect it to my iPad every time I get interrupted. Also, by connecting my iPhone and iPad to get onto the Internet I am draining the battery on two devices.

Hmm decisions, decisions. :D Do you like the iPad mini form factor? If you haven't already I would go play with one in an Apple store and see if you like it before you do any other deciding.

ash211

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Hmm decisions, decisions. :D Do you like the iPad mini form factor? If you haven't already I would go play with one in an Apple store and see if you like it before you do any other deciding.

I do need to go check one out. Having said that the screen and processor speed of the 4 is also very appealing.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
I currently have an iPad 2 and went in to the store to check out the iPad mini.

Sure they have the same resolution
Sure pixels are more dense on the mini.

The ipad 2 screen in my opinion is better. Compare both for yourself.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I do need to go check one out. Having said that the screen and processor speed of the 4 is also very appealing.

I'm kinda in the same spot. I have an iPad 1 and I'm considering upgrading to a mini, butbI think I'll wait til next year and see if the mini catches up on retina/speed.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
As a 9.7 Ipad owner, I dont think you would like it if your new Ipad is at smaller screen.

Get a 4 LTE 16gb, its the best choice. Extra 10 per month should be worthed so you dont lose ur phone battery too quick.

ash211

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2012
I did originally explain I would be using it at work to write 1 to 2 page word compatible documents.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I did originally explain I would be using it at work to write 1 to 2 page word compatible documents.

Oh, sorry. Guess I didn't see that.

The LTE option costs an extra $130, and plans start at $20 per month (though they're month to month). You're also not going to get that money back should you decide to sell it in a year or two.

Have you considered a refurbished LTE iPad3 off of the refurbished store? You'll get the screen, LTE capacity, and a system that should easily meet your needs. Use the LTE as you need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.