Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
Salutations,

I've been starting to build up my digital media collection and am quickly running out of space on my iMac's 1TB hard drive. Does anyone have any opinions on the Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB hard drive? Has anyone seen it cheaper than $129.99? Is $43.33/TB a good deal? Should I wait until Black Friday or Cyber Monday to see if it gets any cheaper?

I'd be putting it in a Macally external enclosure. If anyone has any input on this item, that'd be helpful too! :)

Cheers

P.S. Alternative external storage options are welcome. Don't think I can afford a NAS setup right now though :(

Last edited:

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Not sure if you're interested but I just picked up a LaCie 3TB external drive for 199. It's very nice and it's 3.0 USB.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
Not sure if you're interested but I just picked up a LaCie 3TB external drive for 199. It's very nice and it's 3.0 USB.
Link? I unfortunately do not have a USB 3.0 computer yet (though I know it's backwards compatible), but I do plan on it in the future. Perhaps I should consider that! Good idea.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I think.....

you can wait until Black Friday and you can get a good deal. I had used WD Green HDDs and Seagate Barracuda HDDs. Prefer the WD ones in environments with heavy use, being too reliable. About the Caviar Green, they got good reviews. But some lots are busted right away. So be careful.....:(

:):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.