Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j0n24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
So I've been playing musical chairs with 4 iPads over the past week and I have to say the iCloud restore has been incredibly useful. I've always used the backup feature but never had a reason to run a restore.

I upgraded my iPad 2 to the new mini on Friday, did a wireless restore and I was up and running in minutes. My wife then took my iPad 2, wiped it and restored it with the contents of her iPad 1.

Tonight I returned my black mini for the white model (the black one came out of the box with a scuff on the chamfer and a couple of gaps around the bezel that were collecting dirt). Once again I did an iCloud restore from my black mini backup and bam you'd never know I'd just changed hardware again! Needless to say I was I impressed that I didn't need to drag out my mbp and backup/restore multiple times via iTunes.

The iCloud restore just works and for me it's one of those features that helps justify the apple tax on Apple products.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Agreed totally. We have a whole bunch of iPads and iPhones in the family and every time new ones come out, some get handed down and others get retired. iCloud has been great in making that happen quickly.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Have they sped it up? I tried when it first launched and it took forever so I cancelled and hooked it up via cable.

j0n24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Have they sped it up? I tried when it first launched and it took forever so I cancelled and hooked it up via cable.

Basically you get your settings/config restored within minutes so you are up and running with mail etc. right away. Your apps still need to download from the App Store so depending on your connection that can take a while as you'd expect. Bottom line though, you get most of what you need very quickly!

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Worked great for me too, had to bring my iphone 5 for a faulty camera, had my lte ipad, fired up the hotspot and boom within mins my phone was back and running, like i never switched devices

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.