Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Calot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
It says that it improved graphics and performance.

Any measurable improvements?

I played The Witcher and Diablo 3 and could not feel any improvements at all. They still run great, but not noticeably better.

i7 8GB 256SSD Air here.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
It says that it improved graphics and performance.

Any measurable improvements?

I played The Witcher and Diablo 3 and could not feel any improvements at all. They still run great, but not noticeably better.

i7 8GB 256SSD Air here.

Have you tried visiting a graphics heavy website and compared it? (Ex. The Verge)

The VRAM incrased from about 384MB TO 512MB.

danistyping

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Boston, MA
Actually, it appears that 4GB RAM models got the bump up to 512MB shared ram. But if you have an 8GB model, it stayed at 512MB. I think this is a shame since the HD4000 can handle 768MB. From what I understand, if you have 8GB RAM in your 2012 Air, you will not get a graphics performance boost. Correct?

Lukewarmwinner

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
Actually, it appears that 4GB RAM models got the bump up to 512MB shared ram. But if you have an 8GB model, it stayed at 512MB. I think this is a shame since the HD4000 can handle 768MB. From what I understand, if you have 8GB RAM in your 2012 Air, you will not get a graphics performance boost. Correct?

For real? Can anyone confirm this disappointment?

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Have you tried visiting a graphics heavy website and compared it? (Ex. The Verge)

The VRAM incrased from about 384MB TO 512MB.

Hm, The Verge seems to be the only site I saw since the update which has not improved at all, if not, it's even worse now. It lags a bit on the main page. Wired.com works great, even gandul.info, which is heavier than The Verge, scrolls super smooth. Also ebay.com/new scrolls smooth, but Facebook lags, weird.

Last edited:

Calot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Hm, The Verge seems to be the only site I saw since the update which has not improved at all, if not, it's even worse now. It lags a bit on the main page. Wired.com works great, even gandul.info, which is heavier than The Verge, scrolls super smooth. Also ebay.com/new scrolls smooth, but Facebook lags, weird.

To be fair, it's always lagged a little bit. A very little bit at that... but it's there.

This is extremely sad. Now the dudes with 4GB of RAM will get the same vRAM as me.

Maybe with the 3.0 update we will get 768 MB of vRAM?

A little bit more power would be awesome. But I have not found any improvements anywhere.

The shut down time still is around 20 seconds sometimes. While the fastest it can shut down is around 1-2 seconds.

I don't know why it varies.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
To be fair, it's always lagged a little bit. A very little bit at that... but it's there.

This is extremely sad. Now the dudes with 4GB of RAM will get the same vRAM as me.

Maybe with the 3.0 update we will get 768 MB of vRAM?

A little bit more power would be awesome. But I have not found any improvements anywhere.

The shut down time still is around 20 seconds sometimes. While the fastest it can shut down is around 1-2 seconds.

I don't know why it varies.

They should increase the vRAM to 1 GB for those with 8 GB RAM lmaoo. All jokes aside, 8GB RAM people should really get that much vRAM as it would nearly eliminate the lag and create a much more smoother experience. Also, is there no way to manually increase vRAM, i always thought RAM could be allocated..

Calot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
They should increase the vRAM to 1 GB for those with 8 GB RAM lmaoo. All jokes aside, 8GB RAM people should really get that much vRAM as it would nearly eliminate the lag and create a much more smoother experience. Also, is there no way to manually increase vRAM, i always thought RAM could be allocated..

We could only dream.....

Skoopman

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011

I think the Intel HD4000 only supports up to 768MB VRAM.

Anyway, did anybody notice lagginess in Sparrow and Mail? I might have to restore a time machine backup, it's really annoying.

Last edited:

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Is there a way to hack the 8gb MBA to get 768MB VRAM? If Apple can do it in an update it should be possible for anyone to do, right?

Calot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Is there a way to hack the 8gb MBA to get 768MB VRAM? If Apple can do it in an update it should be possible for anyone to do, right?

Not that I know of...

There is no software for Mac to control integrated graphics, I think.

If you find anything please let us know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.