Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazydave3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Hi,

I have had a dilemma lately, to the point that I can't focus on anything else really because I just can't decide.

Firstly, some background. I am a student in the UAE who had an iPhone 4, sold it last year and had a BB for a year. Now, needing an actual smartphone again (BB, what a joke) I decided that I want an iPhone. Android was on the table for a few days until I played with a few and decided that the OS is simply too messy.

Now the problem. I will be going to Uni abroad next year so I will be needing potentially the best phone I could get then. With uni loans and all though, I will probably have it for about 2/3 years so I don't want something that is already out of date.

The options are then, that I either buy a 5 now and have it for 2 years and get a 6 (assuming it's 5, 5S, 6), already having an outdated phone next year. Another option is that I get a 4S now, somewhat cheaper and get a 5S next year. This will however mean that I will have that generation for a year until an all new shape and design comes out with a 6 whereas having the 5 should be indistinguishable from the 5S. Third option is to get the 4S and stick it out until the 6.

I tried deciding for myself over the last few weeks as to what I should do but I simply can't decide and it is just becoming frustrating as I'm still where I started. Any advice you guys can give me will be much appreciated. Thanks :)

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Hi,

I have had a dilemma lately, to the point that I can't focus on anything else really because I just can't decide.

Firstly, some background. I am a student in the UAE who had an iPhone 4, sold it last year and had a BB for a year. Now, needing an actual smartphone again (BB, what a joke) I decided that I want an iPhone. Android was on the table for a few days until I played with a few and decided that the OS is simply too messy.

Now the problem. I will be going to Uni abroad next year so I will be needing potentially the best phone I could get then. With uni loans and all though, I will probably have it for about 2/3 years so I don't want something that is already out of date.

The options are then, that I either buy a 5 now and have it for 2 years and get a 6 (assuming it's 5, 5S, 6), already having an outdated phone next year. Another option is that I get a 4S now, somewhat cheaper and get a 5S next year. This will however mean that I will have that generation for a year until an all new shape and design comes out with a 6 whereas having the 5 should be indistinguishable from the 5S. Third option is to get the 4S and stick it out until the 6.

I tried deciding for myself over the last few weeks as to what I should do but I simply can't decide and it is just becoming frustrating as I'm still where I started. Any advice you guys can give me will be much appreciated. Thanks :)
Look at the bolded parts, you said you didn't want anything out of date and you're considering a 4S, just get a 5 man.

crazydave3000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2012
Look at the bolded parts, you said you didn't want anything out of date and you're considering a 4S, just get a 5 man.

Yeah true, to be honest though, I don't feel the need to get a 5 now because I think the 4S is perfectly sufficient for what I would use it for now (plus the fact that the iTouch 5 and iPad mini have an A5 pretty much guarantees that any app released within the next year will work on the 4S). Next year though, I am afraid this will not be the case and I would have to get the 5S. As great as it may be, I can imagine being pretty annoyed shelling out my limited funds only to have an all new design come out in less than 12 months.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Yeah true, to be honest though, I don't feel the need to get a 5 now because I think the 4S is perfectly sufficient for what I would use it for now (plus the fact that the iTouch 5 and iPad mini have an A5 pretty much guarantees that any app released within the next year will work on the 4S). Next year though, I am afraid this will not be the case and I would have to get the 5S. As great as it may be, I can imagine being pretty annoyed shelling out my limited funds only to have an all new design come out in less than 12 months.

If you're that worried just get a 5 and people won't be able to tell the difference when the 5S comes out. Or if you just HAVE to have it save up like 200-300, sell your phone the week before the 5S is announced and you'll be able to get the 5S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.