Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RCRod83

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
When I take the case off my black IP5, I admire its beauty.. it's sleekness, and design. But only a few seconds, as I put my IP5 back in its protective case, shutting away the beauty.

Do any of you remember back in the day, pre-iphone, when it wasn't the norm to have a case for your phone? All my Nokia and Motorola phones didn't have cases, and I was never worried about them getting scratched.

But the iPhone is different. It must have a case, and a screen protector, otherwise I won't feel comfortable taking the phone out.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I use my phone naked and admire its beauty everytime I take it out. I also don't have chronic anxiety about getting it scratched up. So you're the problem, not your phone.

And your old motorola and nokia phones looked like garbage anyway, so you never cared about getting them scratched or dinged.

Rhythmic-

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2012
When I take the case off my black IP5, I admire its beauty.. it's sleekness, and design. But only a few seconds, as I put my IP5 back in its protective case, shutting away the beauty.

Do any of you remember back in the day, pre-iphone, when it wasn't the norm to have a case for your phone? All my Nokia and Motorola phones didn't have cases, and I was never worried about them getting scratched.

But the iPhone is different. It must have a case, and a screen protector, otherwise I won't feel comfortable taking the phone out.

Haha, so true. I remember having a 3210 back then. Man that thing was sturdy, I must've dropped it over a dozen times. I was only 11 back then though, so I didn't really care about it's looks, so long as it's fine and I can play Snake lmfao.

Come to think of it, I remember seeing only adults use cases/holsters (mainly holsters) on their phones back then. My dad who had 7110 always had it in a holster. Phones back then also felt sturdier than the phones we have these days, from what I remember.

InfinitiG

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
never used a case in my life

its just a phone, I have much more valuable things that I am protective over

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Naked. Too pretty to cover. Who are we kidding anyway? As soon as the next one comes out this one will be gone and we will all have a pretty new one in our pocket :)

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I use my phone naked and admire its beauty everytime I take it out. I also don't have chronic anxiety about getting it scratched up. So you're the problem, not your phone.

And your old motorola and nokia phones looked like garbage anyway, so you never cared about getting them scratched or dinged.

Exactly this. I don't use a case on my iPhone. Whatever happens, happens. I'd rather enjoy it to its fullest extent than be worried about a scratch as if my life is going to end :rolleyes:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Get a wallet for it

you get to enjoy the naked phone when using it and keeps it safe at the same time.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Maybe I'm just obsessed, but I've had cases/snap on covers on all my phones, my razr, my env3, even my first phone ever, a little LG flip phone. I had cases on those though because I always bought my own cell phone. And I like to keep my stuff nice.

But you're absolutely right, I am so worried about wear and tear on my 4S. I don't baby it, but I do have a back protector, front protector, side protectors, a case and port covers :)

numberforty1

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
Some people are rough on things, while others aren't. Some people like to have a cosmetically perfect phone , some don't care. We all have different lifestyles.

I personally hate fine scratches so i use a thin clear back/case on my ip5 , even though I have applecare+

to each their own

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
why not take a picture of your "naked" phone so you can admire it without ever having to expose it to the frightening unpredictable risks of removing its case?

you never know, a dust particle might get through as you admire it.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston

still the norm for me dont see a point in cases just be careful with it

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
I can't ever not use a case with my iphone. It feels great without one and it looks awesome but the fact that value of the phone can drop almost up to $100 because of a few scratches, I deal with it.

tmgarvey

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
South Jersey
You can always get a leather holder or something like that, to protect it in your pocket or wallet, and take it out when you use it. I have a couple of Fortte cases with lanyard straps to I can clip the strap to my pocketbook. Keeps it from disappearing in the bottom of my purse--I can fish it out by the strap--and protects it from all the junk I carry in my purse. I usually do have a slim case on it, but with the leather case I really wouldn't have to.

I've had Blackberrys with only a screen protector and a leather case and they held up VERY well in terms of wear. I'm a little uber-protective of the iPhone, though--seems like most of us are. It's just a little more delicate than a bb.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I can't ever not use a case with my iphone. It feels great without one and it looks awesome but the fact that value of the phone can drop almost up to $100 because of a few scratches, I deal with it.

Unless you're the type to upgrade every time a new phone comes out, I'm skeptical that a few scratches make that big of a difference by the time one plans on selling.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
i never use a case from iphone 2g to 5. it hides the sleekness of the design. just use it as a tool, stop being too OCD with that.

if u use a case, the one who enjoys its beauty is the secondhand buyer.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
I've never used a case for any of my phones... until I got an iPhone, cuz you know, it's made of glass......... :eek::apple:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010

I had a Motorola Razer that was anodized aluminum and it was a thing of beauty. Never had a scratch on it by the way. I have a bumper only on my 4S so I can at least admire it's coolness. The weak, scratch prone aluminum Apple chose to use on the 5 and their obsession with thinness so that the thing bends in your pocket are things that could have been avoided so most people don't have to hide/protect it in a case.

I also tire of the "my phone is perfect in every way, therefore everyone else's problems do not exist" crowd.

kanesw

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
Nottingham
512066.jpg

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I use a Sena Ultraslim pouch, so when not in use, the phone is protected from scuffs and scratches. When I use it, it is naked. Granted, the case provides limited drop protection, but I love using the phone naked.:D

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I use a Sena Ultraslim pouch, so when not in use, the phone is protected from scuffs and scratches. When I use it, it is naked. Granted, the case provides limited drop protection, but I love using the phone naked.:D

Top marks for Sena Ultraslim. Top quality materials and keeps phone in pristine condition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.