Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2012
Hello

I migrated from PC to MAC.
Got my sell macbook pro late 2011 - i7,4gig ram,HD 5400rpm (OS X Lion 10.7.5) and RME Babyface latest drivers.
Unfortunately I have a huge problem with my DAW's.
I'm running Live 8 ,Cubase 6.5.3 and Logic 9 that my friend gave me to see how it will behave.

No matter what program I use I get the same picture.
Audio channels 2-5, 2-4 VST instruments. I also use very little EQ and Compression.Two send fxs reverb,delay.
At this point the computer temperature reaches 90 degrees and fans spin around 7000 rpm.CPU meter on all DAW's show almost 90% and well only cubase clicks but all of them run very hot.

I also imported few projects from cubase that are on core2duo that few years old.The cpu meter show me around 40% and it was full 100% on mac.
Activity monitor show me that I used around 280% cpu on both examples.

I decided to do simple test just on all DAW's.
Loaded 10 channels with the same loop and same plugin(Aether).
CPU on DAW's 50-55% and in activity monitor 240-250%.
So at these point I think its not cubase problem but my OS/Hardware.

BTW I run all the projects/test true rme and build in core audio without any difference. Buffer settings didn't effect the performance at all.
Did disk repair permissions. I know my HD is very slow....but I was doing orchestral and electronic production on my old pc that maybe have 1/4 of this mac power with 2gig rams.

I don't know what to do I spend so much money on mac,rme,arturia midi controller so I just could work.

Please send me some advice.

Last edited:

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I'm running Live 8 ,Cubase 6.5.3 and Logic 9 that my friend gave me to see how it will behave.

There should be little difference between a PC running Windows and a Mac running OSX that have similar specs and are running properly.

If you are using pirated software it's difficult to get software support. If you actually own Live 8 and Cubase they should provide support and also have a least one forum where you can get help.

panoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2012
Where did you saw pirated cubase 6.5 especially for mac.
I posted on their site also but as I said its something common to my hardware/osx and not to specific daw.
Posted here cause I think that people "know" mac os better.
thank you anyway

panoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2012
hello spoonie
thank for the help

this is what it looks like.
cubase 6.5.4-32bit
512samples buffer
build in audio
take a look at the temperature and fan also please.
I run a memtest just in case all pass good.
Will installing all over again help my problem?
upgrading to mountain lion or downgrading to snow leopard?

thank for your help

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-14 at 2.15.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-14 at 2.15.47 AM.png
    428.8 KB · Views: 99

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
some have said killing "distnoted" can help, but that's a kernel distributor. heck, give it a try; worst case you have to restart.

i dont see anything bizarre in your process list. i can't help but think there's a setting somewhere in cubase that has to be doing this. are you running your buffer super-low? have you tried rolling back a driver or two from RME?

I wish I could help more but I can't understand why you're having any trouble :(

panoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2012
Hello spoonie
I will try it for sure. Hell I will kill everything one by one ...will make some Google search before.
I'm run this screenshot and 512sample ,also on rme and build in audio.
Thank you very much for your help..you doing your best and spending time I appreciate it very much.

Edit: I did what you suggested and it didn't worked "distoned" was reloading after every delete,try to delete va processing that was in monitor also didn't help.
Anyway I going to reinstall lion and put cubase on fresh install.
Hope I will have some time between all the rocket that flying on us.
Also Updated my post in Strindberg forum with this image.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.