Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
My contract is up. I was very bummed when I saw the base iPhone 5 still ships with 16GB.

My question, do you think the next iPhone will come with base storage that is at least greater than my current iPhone 4 (16GB).

Or should I just get a $99 iPhone 4S like I'm contemplating...

dominion155

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
My contract is up. I was very bummed when I saw the base iPhone 5 still ships with 16GB.

My question, do you think the next iPhone will come with base storage that is at least greater than my current iPhone 4 (16GB).

No. I doubt Apple will EVER make 32gb standard, as MANY people still buy the 16gb. They make too much money over selling the current memory ammounts to offer more bang for buck.

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
That's cool, they at least lost an iPhone 5 sale from me. If nobody else.

The iPhone 5 to me just isn't compelling enough, without more storage. $100 more for the 32GB is extortion.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA

The iPhone 5 to me just isn't compelling enough, without more storage. $100 more for the 32GB is extortion.

Have you run into space issues with your current 16GB phone?

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009

Do you have any idea how much flash storage costs?

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Have you run into space issues with your current 16GB phone?

Yes and no. While 32GB is nowhere near enough for my music collection, much less 16GB. It gives me room to keep more stuff in rotation at a time.

I put some songs on there with iTunes, but I also use iSub. So the more space I have to cache songs, the less often it needs to delete songs to make room for new ones.

----------

Do you have any idea how much flash storage costs?

I do know that I can pick up a ~250GB solid state device these days for $150-ish if that's any indication.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2012
Yes and no. While 32GB is nowhere near enough for my music collection, much less 16GB. It gives me room to keep more stuff in rotation at a time.

I put some songs on there with iTunes, but I also use iSub. So the more space I have to cache songs, the less often it needs to delete songs to make room for new ones.

----------

I do know that I can pick up a ~250GB solid state device these days for $150-ish if that's any indication.

you can't compare SSD's to phone storage the are based on the same concept but different parts go into it. they need to make it much smaller and more energy efficient. you can just throw an SSD in to an iPhone.

when i got my nexus it was $299 for the 32 gb as most phones are or used to be. everyone complains about having to pay more for more storage well. it costs apple more to make these parts so i can see why.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
No. I doubt Apple will EVER make 32gb standard, as MANY people still buy the 16gb. They make too much money over selling the current memory ammounts to offer more bang for buck.

I don't know about ever.... but it will probably be a while. Eventually flash storage prices will drop and apps/media will demand more storage, making 16gb insufficient.

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2012
I don't know about ever.... but it will probably be a while. Eventually flash storage prices will drop and apps/media will demand more storage, making 16gb insufficient.

16GB is not alot anymore for a power user i should say. i already have taken up 12GB on my 64GB model. alot of apps now are in the 100's of MB's and put music, movies, and tv shows on there you can fill it up fast.
next use it for full HD recording and taking pictures....you see where i am going with this...my guess is 16GB models will be a thing of the past with in the next 2 years if not sooner.

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
you can't compare SSD's to phone storage the are based on the same concept but different parts go into it. they need to make it much smaller and more energy efficient. you can just throw an SSD in to an iPhone.

Fair enough, still I don't think the $100 for extra space alone is worth it. Regardless of current manufacturing costs. That's half the cost of the whole contract! The processor bump, longness, and new port don't quite excite me enough to want the iPhone 5 over a $99 4S either.

I'll keep my songs on rotation with 16GB for another 2 years. It's been working so far... :cool:

Afbar1114

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2012
Fair enough, still I don't think the $100 for extra space alone is worth it. Regardless of current manufacturing costs. That's half the cost of the whole contract! The processor bump, longness, and new port don't quite excite me enough to want the iPhone 5 over a $99 4S either.

I'll keep my songs on rotation with 16GB for another 2 years. It's been working so far... :cool:

well this was my first iPhone and huge upgrade from my 32GB galaxy Nexus. I like more space so i dont need to worry about running out. if i dont fill it up this time ill go to 32GB one next time

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
I could probably get an Android phone with Mini-SD to add 64GB, no problem. But honestly I'd rather stick with iOS. And I feel the iPhone is the better made, better looking device...I trust it more.

No hating on Google's system or other vendors' hardware.

windowstomac

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2011
If Apple want people to buy loads of HD video content from iTunes, they really ought to give us enough room to store some of it...

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010

Enjoy the Nexus 4 with 8GB for $299.

antman2295

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2010
I highly doubt 32GB will be the new standard anytime soon. Most people don't even use 16GB's of memory. They use it as a phone, take a few pics and put a fews app's and they are done. I have had 16GB's, but I take so many photos, and keep a lot of app's the extra space of the 32GB is nice. Each photo is anywhere from 2 - 5MB's so The storage is eaten up fast, and you can practically forget recording in 1080p on a 16GB if you have any amount of apps.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Agreed, I think that Apple will keep the 16GB as the entry level for the iPhone for the foreseeable future.

stoneland

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
I'm perfectly fine with 16 GB as that is more than enough space for me. I hope Apple doesn't get rid of that storage option! I don't keep much on my phone. I could even probably get away with an 8 GB option.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I hope 32 becomes lowest, I think it will for the iPads for sure. Hopefully for the iPhone.

Otherwise with the 16gb 4S being the 4S sold now and presumably 5 next year being 16gb 99$ then having the prime phone as 32gb makes more sense, right? Another factor pushing people into spending that $100 more!

dominion155

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012

That is true also. I mean, if you go back 5 or so years, 16gb was ALOT of storage. So I am sure eventually the prices will go down and storage will go up. But I am also sure that for the next few releases they will not change the storage amount, it is just too big of money maker for apple at the moment.

trozau

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Appleland, USA
IIRC, the freebie with 2-year contract versions are only 8GB. 3GS before and now the 4. iOS just leaves it a few GB for personal use and people seem to be able to make do with it.

McPc

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
CA
If the new crop of iPads is any indication it sure doesn't look like the iPhone's will eliminate the 16GB models anytime soon.

However, if iOS gets to a point were it takes up a lot more disc real estate there probably will be a bump in all the memory across the board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.