Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CFoss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
This problem has been occurring ever since I got my MacBook Pro Retina 15" back from the Apple Store (fixing an issue with the screen, as far as I know, they didn't touch anything software wise). On both Safari and Chrome, when I watch a video in full screen, it stutter. It doesn't matter what GPU is running at that moment.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: And of course, I figured out a solution 5 minutes after posting this topic. I opened up the flash preferences, and deleted the local storage within the plug-in. As far as I can tell, the issue has been fixed.

Edit Edit: Or not. Check third post.

Last edited:

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Flash just sucks in general.

It's on it's way out.

Try enabling the HTML5 beta for youtube.

youtube.com/html5

CFoss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
I called it too soon. I'm having issues again. I've restarted my computer, and the only solution I can think of is uninstalling flash.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Something is up.

I've played 1080p flash full screen on an rMBP at the Apple Store, no issues.

Also 1080p plays fine on my Sandy Bridge 2011 MBP at full screen. No issues.

oGu

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
I have the same problem but only with Chrome. Reinstalling OSX and still the same problem. From what I read on version 25 of chrome this problem should be fixed.

clark85

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
maybe you should delete the browser cache or completly delete the browser app and reinstall. worked for me

sonicoliver

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
Flash just sucks in general.

It's on it's way out.

Try enabling the HTML5 beta for youtube.

youtube.com/html5

Unfortunately, it's not just flash. I get the same stutter with a "HTML5" video, with the quicktime player. Oddly, the video playback in the frame is smooth, it's only when switching to fullscreen.

I also noticed that in Safari, the fullscreen option in the embeded quicktime player is disabled (for example, the Apple movie trailers website), yet in Chrome it is available (and stutters).

Way back, a friend had a hardware glitch with a G4 that affected his audio, in which mp3 playback would occasionally skip... because it was a hardware problem (something to do with the number of bytes the CPU could process at a time) there was nothing Apple could do, yet completely disabling fullscreen option isn't a very nice solution...

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
The issue with Chrome is easy to solve. On the address bar type:

chrome:plugins

Search for Pepperflash and disable it (you need to click on the + Details button on the right hand side). Restart Chrome. See if it stutters. Remember that, even if you have HTML5 activated, some YT videos will still be Flash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.