Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
Just got my iPhone 5 today, and while I know there were many threads about yellow tint at one point, this one is kind of different.

I don't know if my eyes are fooling me or not, but it appears that the left side of my screen has normal tint, and it progressively gets warmer going toward the right side. The right side looks a tad bit yellow. Has anyone seen this happen? Should I be concerned? I was very excited to get it today, as I previously had the iPhone 4. Wondering if I should return this during the 14 day period I have with AT&T.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
Wirelessly posted

Hoping for input.. As this costs a large chunk of money and is my main means of entertainment as well. Your opinion would be well appreciated.

pchipchip

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2011
Wirelessly posted

Hoping for input.. As this costs a large chunk of money and is my main means of entertainment as well. Your opinion would be well appreciated.

I have had the iPhone 5 for about a month and I don't remember seeing any yellow tint. You might want to take it in to your local Apple store and talk to a Genius about it.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
Wirelessly posted

pchipchip said:
Wirelessly posted

I have had the iPhone 5 for about a month and I don't remember seeing any yellow tint. You might want to take it in to your local Apple store and talk to a Genius about it.

Nowhere near an apple store unfortunately.. Not sure how AT&T handles returns for iPhones either. I keep seeing that it may just be a glue issue and that getting the phone got can make it go away.. Is there any truth to this?

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
Wirelessly posted

Since this yellow tint is only visible on the right side of the screen, could that mean it is glue drying? The left side kind of even has a cold hue to it, like my iPhone 4 but not quite as cold. I've seen suggestions of turning the brightness up to 100% for a while and getting the phone a little hot. Would like to know if this has worked for anyone?

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
Any pictures of said issue would be quite welcomed so we can get a better idea of what you're seeing.

The pictures exaggerate it a little bit, but pay attention to mostly the upper right corner as that's really the only noticeable spot to my naked eyes. (it appears they switched orientation than how I originally took the picture, so in this case, the top left corner, like where the battery indicator is.)

Attachments

• image(2).jpeg
    image(2).jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
  • image(3).jpeg
    image(3).jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
  • image(4).jpeg
    image(4).jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 82

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
The pictures exaggerate it a little bit, but pay attention to mostly the upper right corner as that's really the only noticeable spot to my naked eyes. (it appears they switched orientation than how I originally took the picture, so in this case, the top left corner, like where the battery indicator is.)

I had this issue on my first 5, and sadly there is nothing that can be done. It's not glue drying, Yellow tint is NEVER glue (never has been glue either).

Take it back, or show it to a genius. After a few replacements, I got the screen I was looking for. In the words of Steve Jobs: Don't Settle.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
I had this issue on my first 5, and sadly there is nothing that can be done. It's not glue drying, Yellow tint is NEVER glue (never has been glue either).

Take it back, or show it to a genius. After a few replacements, I got the screen I was looking for. In the words of Steve Jobs: Don't Settle.

Well I don't know if it was glue or not but I had the yellow tink back on my 4s and it went away with time just like the Genius said so even if it wasn't glue whatever it was resolved itself. That being said I would return the phone and try again.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
i don't have any issues at all with my ip5... if anything the colors are more vibrant, rich and crisp than the 4s. maybe ur mistaking the color hue as tint? cuz there is a better color hue on the 5 than the 4s.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
i don't have any issues at all with my ip5... if anything the colors are more vibrant, rich and crisp than the 4s. maybe ur mistaking the color hue as tint? cuz there is a better color hue on the 5 than the 4s.

look at the third pic.. top right corner.

I couldnt see the difference in color on the first one.. but pic two and especially pic 3 i can.

Im with vandy though.. my 4s was a little yellow, and ipad 3.. both went away in a month or less. I think mine was glue they used to fuse the digitizer and lcd. Thankfully my ip5 is just fine.
As to the OP.. who knows if its glue/what

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
Wirelessly posted

The problem is I'm not near an apple store at all. Only AT&T. And they only give me 14 days to try out the phone before I'm stuck with it. Would they let me exchange this one for another brand new? Cause I wouldn't accept a refurbished.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Just got my iPhone 5 today, and while I know there were many threads about yellow tint at one point, this one is kind of different.

I don't know if my eyes are fooling me or not, but it appears that the left side of my screen has normal tint, and it progressively gets warmer going toward the right side. The right side looks a tad bit yellow. Has anyone seen this happen? Should I be concerned? I was very excited to get it today, as I previously had the iPhone 4. Wondering if I should return this during the 14 day period I have with AT&T.

Yes, my 3GS has this exact issue, only cool is to the right and warmer towards the left. The difference is slight, but it's there. I don't care about it in the least on this phone, but if I got a 5 with the same problem I would not be pleased about it.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
Wirelessly posted

I left the display on max brightness on a white wallpaper all night and that didn't help at all.

kellte2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2005
My phone has a slight tint of more yellow at the top when viewed on an all white background. I think this is the nature of the beast when it comes to smartphone LCD panels. Variance is not our friend.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
Well... I took it to ATT today and they exchanged it for another once I showed him my display next to a store unit display. The replacement has a warm display, maybe warmer than the other all around, but I haven't noticed one part that's completely imbalanced like the other. The display unit they had actually had perfect color in my opinion. It was a bit colder and just looked great to my eyes, so I'm sure that display was made by a different manufacturer that they no longer have in stock.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Well I don't know if it was glue or not but I had the yellow tink back on my 4s and it went away with time just like the Genius said so even if it wasn't glue whatever it was resolved itself. That being said I would return the phone and try again.

It's not glue, it's a defective display. Get replacement. Yeah, some have a slight blue tint and some a slight or not slight yellow tint. I prefer the blueish.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston

nope

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.