Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScratchyMoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
London
Hi Everyone,

My 3,1 going on the blink has made me investigate whether i should switch to the newest MP.

My set up includes an Areca 1680x driving an 8 HDD box raid, but can someone tell me if the 1680 will work in the latest MP?

(I know that the 1680 is EOL and i can't find any info on it with the latest MP.)

Many thanks

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Hi Everyone,

My 3,1 going on the blink has made me investigate whether i should switch to the newest MP.

My set up includes an Areca 1680x driving an 8 HDD box raid, but can someone tell me if the 1680 will work in the latest MP?

(I know that the 1680 is EOL and i can't find any info on it with the latest MP.)

Many thanks

Sure no problems. I got ARC-1231ML in MP 4,1 (flashed to 5,1) and it works without any problems. It's now even faster than on 3,1.

ScratchyMoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
London
I have a 1680x in my 2012; I just upgraded from a 2008. Works great. 8 disk enclosure plugged into it.

Thanks Bwa and Spacedust ... that's great to know! I'm not sure if i'm set on upgrading yet, the prospect of a new / replacement Mac Pro next year is keeping me dangling.

Bwa - what are your impressions of moving from the 2008 to 2012 ... i'm a photographer and the doubling in performance would be great, though perhaps only save me 10 mins a day, when i'm editing / processing in Lightroom, but reliability can cost me a whole day.

Anyway, thanks again guys,
Slaterk

Bwa

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Boston & San Jose
What is the max speed you've got ? Mine in almost 900 MB/s with 4x SSD drives.

Something like that. 800-980 for most tests, off the top of my head.

Thanks Bwa and Spacedust ... that's great to know! I'm not sure if i'm set on upgrading yet, the prospect of a new / replacement Mac Pro next year is keeping me dangling.

Bwa - what are your impressions of moving from the 2008 to 2012 ... i'm a photographer and the doubling in performance would be great, though perhaps only save me 10 mins a day, when i'm editing / processing in Lightroom, but reliability can cost me a whole day.

Anyway, thanks again guys,
Slaterk

It is much smoother. Some minor things in my workflow were really irritating because they were slow; things are less so now. Some stuff I do used to bog down the 2008; the 2012 doesn't notice. It's fantastic.

I upgraded because
- the 32 GB RAM ceiling was killing me.
- above-mentioned annoyances
- raw speed for more intense things were significantly faster on my 2011 mbp than my old mac pro
- I don't want to buy whatever is next for the first few months it's on the market. I bought my 2008 on release day and it was 6 months before Apple had the software stable.
- I offset about 30% of the purchase price for the upgrade (~$5k) with the sale of the old Mac Pro
- Tax write off for this year

Spacedust

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Something like that. 800-980 for most tests, off the top of my head.

It is much smoother. Some minor things in my workflow were really irritating because they were slow; things are less so now. Some stuff I do used to bog down the 2008; the 2012 doesn't notice. It's fantastic.

I upgraded because
- the 32 GB RAM ceiling was killing me.
- above-mentioned annoyances
- raw speed for more intense things were significantly faster on my 2011 mbp than my old mac pro
- I don't want to buy whatever is next for the first few months it's on the market. I bought my 2008 on release day and it was 6 months before Apple had the software stable.
- I offset about 30% of the purchase price for the upgrade (~$5k) with the sale of the old Mac Pro
- Tax write off for this year

Add failing and very hot FB-DIMM modules in MP 2008 to the list ;) My old MP 2008 was taking 200W when idle, the current one just 130W.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.