Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

argonaut12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
Is it possible to connect an external blu ray hard drive and watch blu ray films to all the new 2012 mac mini's. If so, is it then possible to download blu ray films to the mac mini's and watch then from the internal or external hard drives?

Gratitude to all positive replies.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
can you recommend any external bd drives for the Mac?

Depends on what you want. There are externals that burn CD/DVD but also play BD and externals that burn CD/DVD and play/burn BD. If you want aesthetics then you can get a low-profile ready-made external, if you want cheap then grab an LG or ASUS and external enclosure from Newegg (go Newegg for any of the above).

Snowcake

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Since Blu-ray movies often use 23.976fps, you should know these bugs related to the Intel HD4000:

1 The Intel HD3000 and HD4000 have a 23.976fps and a 23.976HZ bug.

2 A issue with creating/saving/maintaining the correct brightness levels (0-255 vs. 16-235) and or EDID overrides.

3 And of course the biggest new bug introduced in Ivy Bridge is the failure with certain 1080i50 streams (look in the graphics area). Especially the last one makes it currently unusable for users having the appropriate kind of premium content (mostly live-TV).

Thunderbolt and hdmi and the other connections are affected by the bugs listed above, since it is the chip itself.

Just google the problems...

Edit: Look at the post-time from priorypcclinic above my post. The posting
time from his post is: Today. 12:41 PM
My Posting is from.. : Today. 06:30 PM

What is wrong?

Last edited:

dvdchance

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
Edit: Look at the post-time from priorypcclinic above my post. The posting
time from his post is: Today. 12:41 PM
My Posting is from.. : Today. 06:30 PM

What is wrong?

I'm not getting what you are seeing time wise. What am I missing here?

stellan0r

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
Depends on what you want. There are externals that burn CD/DVD but also play BD and externals that burn CD/DVD and play/burn BD. If you want aesthetics then you can get a low-profile ready-made external, if you want cheap then grab an LG or ASUS and external enclosure from Newegg (go Newegg for any of the above).

so you are saying they are all working? My question was more focused on drivers etc., not design ;-)

geeji

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
For watching Blu-rays on a Mac, there is now much simpler than the old MakeMKV route : Macgo Blu-ray Player for Mac, which works with any external Blu-ray drive.
Its only drawback is that it does not read Blu-ray disks menus, but neither does MKV.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Its only drawback is that it does not read Blu-ray disks menus, but neither does MKV.

It also requires Internet access. I'm not entirely clear on what it is doing.

I understand you might not see that as a drawback, but others might.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.