Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
To those with multiple sized iDevices, how do you manage your library? I usually get the 64GB of everything, but decided to get the 16GB mini since i couldn't justify the spend for the 64GB. A better device will be out next year and maybe even sooner. My music library alone is 18GB, so I'm not sure I made the right decision on the 16GB.

My iPad has 58GB used and my iPhone has 37GB used. I don't sync movies/video to the phone.

Do you make separate libraries for devices? Do you just not sync all apps an songs? The latter seems rather labor intensive to pick what songs to put on a device individually, but figured I'd ask here since there's probably a few of you that have done this before.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
My music collection exceeds 64gb anyways so I have several playlists that I put on my iPad and iPhone. For the mini I'll just be using iTunes Match since I don't see myself accessing my music collection from it very often...I always have my 64gb iPhone with me for that.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
same here, I buy most 32 and 64 devices. However this mini is the first time I'm getting a 16g. I figure I will just use it for brief emailing and internet surfing. No need to keep large amounts of music, movies, documents. That's what my IPAD 3 and Macbook is for.

I don't download much music. but as for other libraries I do usually sync. for my mini, I will just sync essentials like calendar, notes, photos and pages documents since they don't take up much space.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Since I always carry my iPhone around, I don't sync music to my iPad Mini.
Since my iPhone has a better camera, more storage, and more convenient/functions, I use my iPhone to takes photos and record videos.

My iPad Mini is mainly use for reading magazines, reading news, ebooks, PDFs, web browsing, gaming, and video podcast.

Only sync apps/games you currently use/play.

As for video, I just stream them over to my iPad.

My iPad Mini is only 16GB. Will probably upgrade to 32GB when the retina version comes out.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012

My iPad Mini is only 16GB. Will probably upgrade to 32GB when the retina version comes out.

This. Was going to get 32 but will do that when retina mini comes out. Will be so anxious to get this stupid mini sold when the retina debuts.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
My thoughts exactly. I was caught off guard with the iPad 3 refresh so soon and I didn't want to jump all in with a 64GB mini and find out a refresh is 6 months away.

I hear the battery life on this device is fantastic. My iPad 2 was great for battery life and weight, but the 3 gets heavy after holding it for a while so I figured I'd try the mini.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Since my iPhone has a better camera, more storage, and more convenient/functions, I use my iPhone to takes photos and record videos.

My iPad Mini is mainly use for reading magazines, reading news, ebooks, PDFs, web browsing, gaming, and video podcast.

Only sync apps/games you currently use/play.

As for video, I just stream them over to my iPad.

This. I always have my phone so no need for duplicate info. And this makes it easier to justify a retina one once it is out.

Davirdv

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
I have a 32gb 4s which I use for pictures and as a phone, a 32gb iPod 4g for music (just sync playlists not my entire library and I'm waiting for a 16gb iPad, which I will just stream everything to and will use for games.

If each had more storage, I would use it, but they don't... So I just use what I've got. Dropbox etc are massively useful.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
2 ways you can get more bang for your buck then upping to 64 gig storage. iTunes Match and drop box storage. Drop box cost $99 for 100 gigs a year....still cheaper than the difference between 16 and 64 gig idevice....plus you can use it across all devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.