Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjoshi123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
I've picked Macmini 2012 from Bestbuy now I need help with adding SSD. I know it is complicated process and there are video online on OWC as well as on iFixit website. My question is this

I want to add SSD to my Mac-mini and use it as a primary drive and use 1TB HDD inside as a data-drive. I'm getting Samsung 840 500GB from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elect...3176760&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+840+ssd+500gb

Is there anything specific that I'd need to do for using SSD as my primary disc and HDD as secondary ? I know in PC world you could go into BIOS as well as set the jumpers on HDD to work as primary or secondary. How does it work with Mac ? I did similar thing with my macbook pro in past but at that time I moved existing HDD to DVD drive slot so there was no confusion with regards to which one is primary disc.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I've picked Macmini 2012 from Bestbuy now I need help with adding SSD. I know it is complicated process and there are video online on OWC as well as on iFixit website. My question is this

I want to add SSD to my Mac-mini and use it as a primary drive and use 1TB HDD inside as a data-drive. I'm getting Samsung 840 500GB from Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elect...3176760&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+840+ssd+500gb

Is there anything specific that I'd need to do for using SSD as my primary disc and HDD as secondary ? I know in PC world you could go into BIOS as well as set the jumpers on HDD to work as primary or secondary. How does it work with Mac ? I did similar thing with my macbook pro in past but at that time I moved existing HDD to DVD drive slot so there was no confusion with regards to which one is primary disc.

I plan to buy a Mini soon and will be adding an SSD by putting it in an external enclosure and connecting it via USB3. Should be way more than fast enough for my needs. I have seen YouTube videos of people transferring over 450 MB/s via USB3 which I believe is faster than my SSD is even capable of.

As for the master/slave settings you're referring to, that's for IDE drives, not SATA. You shouldn't have to do anything special to get an SSD working with a Mac Mini other than connecting it.

stu.h

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
I plan to buy a Mini soon and will be adding an SSD by putting it in an external enclosure and connecting it via USB3. Should be way more than fast enough for my needs. I have seen YouTube videos of people transferring over 450 MB/s via USB3 which I believe is faster than my SSD is even capable of.

As for the master/slave settings you're referring to, that's for IDE drives, not SATA. You shouldn't have to do anything special to get an SSD working with a Mac Mini other than connecting it.

Dont consider using the SSD as the main boot drive over USB3.0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.