Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I just used the data usage calculator on AT&T's website (although I plan on signing up with Verizon).

Background information on my monthly activity on my iPhone 4S (and tethered iPad):

350 emails a month
24 hours of streaming music a month (Pandora)
1300 web pages visited monthly (not sure if this is more or less)
250 social media posts/photos (Facebook)
0 hours of streaming HD video (incredible how much data this eats up
20 apps downloaded a month (recycled, not stored permanently)

It says that I'd use up about 2.17 GB a month... does this sound about accurate to you guys? The key driving factor behind data usage is the amount of HD videos people stream from the web (websites, Netflix) but seeing as that absolutely kills your data usage, I plan on downloading movies on my laptop daily, transferring them to my iPad, and watching them in public - then I'd remove the video and repeat. After all, how many movies can one watch in public?

Perhaps during vacations, I would be able to load up on videos downloaded.

How much data do you guys run through monthly? Would I be safe going with 3GB monthly data or should I try to limit my data usage and squeeze and settle with 2GB monthly?

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
I think you would stay under 2GB a month. I only hit about 200MB a month.. Thanks to wifi. And lol, I use my phone. 24/7. :cool:

No video streaming is a big plus in your case.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
I just used the data usage calculator on AT&T's website (although I plan on signing up with Verizon).

Background information on my monthly activity on my iPhone 4S (and tethered iPad):

350 emails a month
24 hours of streaming music a month (Pandora)
1300 web pages visited monthly (not sure if this is more or less)
250 social media posts/photos (Facebook)
0 hours of streaming HD video (incredible how much data this eats up
20 apps downloaded a month (recycled, not stored permanently)

It says that I'd use up about 2.17 GB a month... does this sound about accurate to you guys? The key driving factor behind data usage is the amount of HD videos people stream from the web (websites, Netflix) but seeing as that absolutely kills your data usage, I plan on downloading movies on my laptop daily, transferring them to my iPad, and watching them in public - then I'd remove the video and repeat. After all, how many movies can one watch in public?

Perhaps during vacations, I would be able to load up on videos downloaded.

How much data do you guys run through monthly? Would I be safe going with 3GB monthly data or should I try to limit my data usage and squeeze and settle with 2GB monthly?

I don't know, but WAYYYYY more than 2 GB of data.

I always look at my usage, and I recall doing 500 megs in 3 days (my wifi / router was messed up for 3 days), just looking at webpages and 2 youtube videos. Imagine 30 days, I would be way over the 2 gb.

I am on a 4 GB plan, but I wrk during the day and home at night, both wifi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.