Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Went to BestBuy Saturday with my two boys, 5yo and 2yo. I figured it being a "Boys' Day" that BB would be perfect.

We went straight to the console stations. My 2yo went for the "dance" game with the Kinect (XBox I guess?) and was trying to dance. Too cute. My 5yo headed to play Skylanders. Tree Rex is AWESOME! (So says he.)

So we were there for about two hours. I was wondering around (within visual range of both (remember, I'm 6' 6". Nothing for me to look over the shelfs.)) looking at stuff. I see in the computer area, there is a cage with a sign on it...

T! W! Come here! They both moan and groan.... finally we get ove there and the sign on top of the cage said "20% off marked price".. What?

So I start looking around.. HP, Samsung, and other systems. I see several ATVs and they were being sold at 97.00 US with 20% off. Hmmm, if they are 2nd Gen.... Then see a TimeCapsule... Wow... 2T TC... Marked at 275.00 + the 20% off. I start to figure how much that is... and a guy came up and replaced the 20% off sign with a 30% off.

I quickly figured that out and it was 82.00 (or so) dollars off. I want it! So, after the 30% off and then the sales taxes, I paid 206.XX for a 2T TC. I had the associate open it up and the TC was still wrapped in plastic and the power cord was in it. (The sleeve of stuff was there too.)

So we left there, went home and tested it. Works perfectly. Quite happy with this as I had been looking for something to use as backups. I don't need the router part but, I couldn't pass it up. Not at that price.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I dont trust Time Capsules. Their fail rate is quite high. I suppose its not that big a deal as long as you replace it right away after it dies. I wont invest the money though due to their reliability.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
I dont trust Time Capsules. Their fail rate is quite high. I suppose its not that big a deal as long as you replace it right away after it dies. I wont invest the money though due to their reliability.

Not really too much of a concern. I can replace it quickly enough though.

I'm also using crashplan on all of my systems so, this is essentially a local backup in the event one of my systems die. I can restore and be operational again within a few hours (or less), rather than how fast I can download it from crashplan (several hours or day+).

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR

That problem (power supply failure) seems to have been fixed in 2008 or early 2009. Time Capsule is the only NAS backup that is officially supported by Apple. People certainly get other solutions to work... but there have been lots of reports of backup incompatibles... especially around the time of OS upgrades.

Personally, I think that Time Capsules are ideal for use with laptops because of mobility. For desktops... attached drives work fine.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.