Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drummer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Hey everyone -- Been using my new MBP for a couple months now, and I'm loving it. I do a lot of work at local Starbucks shops, and whereas I was able to connect very easily to the ATT wifi using my older PCs, it's proving to be less intuitive with the Mac.

I'm able to find and select the "attwifi" signal from the list of available connections, and the MBP connects to it successfully. When I try to launch my browser (Chrome) to reach the user-agreement page to actually be permitted to surf the internet, the browser repeatedly fails to reach this user agreement page.

Once again, I'm able to connect, but beyond that, I'm unable to take the necessary steps to finish connecting in order to use the internet. On my PC, all I would need to do was launch the browser, and then the Starbucks user agreement would appear, and then it would work normally. Are there are additional settings I need to modify with my Mac in order to connect? Has anyone else encountered this and succeeded in resolving it?

Thanks!

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I've had no problems. I use either Safari or Chrome, both work fine for most public WiFi systems with login pages, including AT&T WiFi.

drummer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
I'm sitting in Starbucks now (posting here via phone browser), and the problem is mystifying me.

I've selected 'attwifi' and everything I am looking at is telling me that I am connected to the Internet, and that I have Internet access. Neither Chrome nor Safari are bringing me to the AT&T wifi login screen. I've restarted a few times, disconnected and reconnected, to no avail.

Under 'Network,' it says that I'm connected to the network, with great signal strength. It is even telling me that the network has given me an IP address. Clicking 'Advanced' brings me to a few screens with jargon and settings I don't understand, but if there is anything here I need to modify, I wouldn't know it.

This is pretty frustrating. My connection at home is wireless, and I've had no problems connecting in other people's homes. I seem to be cursed with encountering snags that no one seems to be able to help with, but I'd really appreciate the help here.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.