Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2002
Earth
FaceTime now works on my iPad mini with grandfathered $30 unlimited LTE session-based / iPad tablet data!

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Really? How did you manage that? Mine still redirects me to the AT&T site to change to an "eligible" plan. :confused:

Try restarting your device. Reports are coming in that AT&T has now allowed FaceTime over any plan.

christof

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2002
Earth
Really? How did you manage that? Mine still redirects me to the AT&T site to change to an "eligible" plan. :confused:
I just received my iPad mini, logged into my AT&T grandfathered unlimited data plan, and activated FaceTime. Oddly enough, the Use Over Cellular was already marked as ON. I tested it, and it worked.

I also tested an already active iPhone 5 with AT&T grandfathered unlimited data. It didn't work initially, but after restarting the iPhone 5 once, it automatically switched ON Use Cellular Data.

iPhone 4S with AT&T grandfathered unlimited data running iOS 5.X still doesn't have FaceTime over cellular. I don't plan to update to iOS 6 to try to get FaceTime over cellular to work, but if FaceTime over cellular eventually works with iOS 5, I'll update here.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
iPad2.....nope

Doesn't work with the iPad2 running the latest iOS so I guess it's only a Mini, iPad3, and iPad4 thing.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Not working on my 5GB ipad plan (though tethering sure does).

I chatted with ATT and they said they have no official procedures for turning it on phone by phone. You just have to wait until its rolled out to your phone/area.

GraphicsGeek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2008
Just restarted my iPhone 5 and the switch to use cell data was automatically switched on. So it's working for me. I'm in VA with an unlimited plan.

martosprint

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Florida
I just read last night that they were gradually phasing it in, so not everyone will have it at the same time. But you will have it eventually. 

DelMac

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
I just tried it on my iPad Mini through LTE with my $30 3GB data plan & it worked. Thing is when I bought my Mini on Monday it didn't work. I guess it's been rolled out to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.