Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I plan to get a new Mini soon - within the next week or so. Currently my early 2009 iMac is running 10.8.2. What I plan to do is use Migration Assistant to move my setup (apps and files) from the iMac to the Mini.

However, with all this brew-ha-ha over the "special" version of 10.8.2 for new Mini's being pulled - it sounds like my new Mini will come with 10.8.1 installed.

So, am I screwed and won't be able to migrate off the iMac until the Mini is actually running a release of 10.8.2 sometime down the road?

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I used migration assistant to migrate my data from my 2009 mbp (running 10.8.2) to my 2012 mac mini running 10.8.1 about 2 weeks ago. When it was finished my data was successfully transferred but the new mini was still running 10.8.1.

The bottom line is you can successfully do migration assistant but your new mini will still be running 10.8.1 when all is said and done. That means that iPhoto will not work until Apple puts back a special version of 10.8.2 for the mini's or a unified 10.8.3 comes out.

* iPhoto was the only one I use of the iLife apps so some of the others (garageband etc) may need 10.8.2 to work also.

simon.hibbs

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
My Mini arrived yesterday with 10.8.2 on it. I have not applied any system updates in case something gets messed up.

I didn't use Migration Assistant as I wanted to have a close to a clean new setup as possible, but this did complicate moving iTunes across a little. iPhoto was easy though, just drag-n-drop.

Simon Hibbs

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Thanks for the responses! I'll definitely be doing migration assistant....too many apps to try and drag and drop reliably

I have fusion 5 with both windows xp and win7 running under it and migration assistant moved them to my new mini. I've had no problems with any of my apps that were moved from my mbp to the new mini using migration assistant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.