Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mandark100

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
India
Okay friends, so if I buy an iphone 5 with contract from at&t and terminate the contract buy unlocking it(on eBay). So, do I have to pay any fine to at&t. Means, I am getting out of contract by unlocking my iphone 5, why would at&t allow me to do so? Did anyone who bought their at&t iphone 5 on contract and unlocked it on eBay had faced this kind of problem?

Last edited:

ppone

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2011
Buy a Verizon iPhone 5, it comes gsm unlocked.

Yes I tested this out. I bought one from Verizon and gave it to my cousin in another country. Worked flawlessly.

Okay friends, so if I buy an iphone 5 with contract from at&t and terminate the contract buy unlocking it(on eBay). So, do I have to pay any fine to at&t. Means, I am getting out of contract by unlocking my iphone 5, whay would at&t allow me to do so? Did anyone who bought their at&t iphone 5 on contract and unlocked it on eBay had faced this kind of problem?

nitemare

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Okay friends, so if I buy an iphone 5 with contract from at&t and terminate the contract buy unlocking it(on eBay). So, do I have to pay any fine to at&t. Means, I am getting out of contract by unlocking my iphone 5, whay would at&t allow me to do so? Did anyone who bought their at&t iphone 5 on contract and unlocked it on eBay had faced this kind of problem?

why would you have to terminate your contract if you use the Ebay unlock? Unlock Fusion on Ebay is like $10 unlocks your phone in a few hours and doesn't effect your contract one bit.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2007
why would you have to terminate your contract if you use the Ebay unlock? Unlock Fusion on Ebay is like $10 unlocks your phone in a few hours and doesn't effect your contract one bit.

Does it unlock the CDMA? So you can use it with any CDMA carrier in other countries? I would presume the Verizon iPhone 5 will be locked with CDMA of Verizon forever until you get it unlocked right (or getting the factory unlock version of Verizon upon purchasing). I think all Verizons are unlocked on GSM SIM, but locked on CDMA unless you get it unlocked. So if you are using GSM on Verizon, you don't even need to unlock it, but if you want to use another CDMA carrier in another country, you would need to unlock it?

I mention another country because I heard that even if you unlock a Verizon iPhone 5, you can't use it with Sprint because probably Sprint only accepts their own iPhone 5's that are in their database? So if you unlock a Verizon, it is only to get other CDMA carriers outside of the USA to be able to use it? Or does the unlocked Verizon have some other important feature that you gain? Because I know that without unlocking, a Verizon can use any GSM carrier in the world. Right?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

When u unlock it on eBay that doesn't terminate your contract. It just unlocks your iPhone that's all.
If you want to turn off AT&T service to that line you will have to pay the etf to get out of the 2 year contract.

nitemare

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
there is no unlock for CDMA iPhones, only the AT&T GSM iPhone. the GSM side of the VZW is already unlocked and can use any GSM network world wide but check the carrier and apples website to see what Fq it will work one. it may only get 3G data service and not LTE if available in that country. the VZW will even work on AT&T's 3G but not their LTE network.

Sprint will unlock the GSM side for subscribers in good standing after i believe 90 days.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
there is no unlock for CDMA iPhones, only the AT&T GSM iPhone. the GSM side of the VZW is already unlocked and can use any GSM network world wide but check the carrier and apples website to see what Fq it will work one. it may only get 3G data service and not LTE if available in that country. the VZW will even work on AT&T's 3G but not their LTE network.

Sprint will unlock the GSM side for subscribers in good standing after i believe 90 days.

Sprint will unlock the i5 for international gsm use.
It will not work with a US gsm sim.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2007

OK, this is getting confusing. I know that for the iPhone 4, there was a time where you can use the CDMA by burning the code right into the iPhone. But when the iPhone 4S came out, you can use CDMA SIM cards, no need to burn.

In this case, with the iPhone 5, wouldn't a factory unlocked iPhone 5 from Verizon allow you to use other (another country's) CDMA SIM cards inside for use on other country's CDMA network? That would be the point of a unlock, because a Verizon iPhone 5 is already unlocked on the GSM SIM side.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
OK, this is getting confusing. I know that for the iPhone 4, there was a time where you can use the CDMA by burning the code right into the iPhone. But when the iPhone 4S came out, you can use CDMA SIM cards, no need to burn.

In this case, with the iPhone 5, wouldn't a factory unlocked iPhone 5 from Verizon allow you to use other (another country's) CDMA SIM cards inside for use on other country's CDMA network? That would be the point of a unlock, because a Verizon iPhone 5 is already unlocked on the GSM SIM side.

No, I have no idea what you're saying with burning the code and such. There is no CDMA sims. The 4S had a sim inside for international use when outside the US to connect to GSM network in order to roam. CDMA only phones dont need or use sims. The i5 has a sim cause of the LTE network needs it in order to connect and use the new technology.
I already explained you in details above how it works and on your other thread.
Believe what you want.

mandark100

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
India
When u unlock it on eBay that doesn't terminate your contract. It just unlocks your iPhone that's all.
If you want to turn off AT&T service to that line you will have to pay the etf to get out of the 2 year contract.

How much is the etf?

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2007
No, I have no idea what you're saying with burning the code and such. There is no CDMA sims. The 4S had a sim inside for international use when outside the US to connect to GSM network in order to roam. CDMA only phones dont need or use sims. The i5 has a sim cause of the LTE network needs it in order to connect and use the new technology.
I already explained you in details above how it works and on your other thread.
Believe what you want.

Perhaps you've never seen one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removable_User_Identity_Module

That is a CDMA SIM. Do you know if you remove the LTE SIM, will the CDMA still work? If yes, then that means the CDMA stuff is not coded inside the LTE SIM.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Perhaps you've never seen one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removable_User_Identity_Module

That is a CDMA SIM. Do you know if you remove the LTE SIM, will the CDMA still work? If yes, then that means the CDMA stuff is not coded inside the LTE SIM.

Yes, once you remove the sim the CDMA part of the verizon phone will still work in order to get 3G but not LTE service.
In the US CDMA only phones do not use sim cards same goes for the verizon iphone 5 that we are talking about.

Last edited:

mandark100

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
India
My brother says he have to pay at least $50 as the phone bill for first month even when he pay $325 ETF on AT&T iphone 5 to terminate the contract. Is this true? Do you have to pay the first month's bill even when you terminate the contract immediately after buying the phone?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
My brother says he have to pay at least $50 as the phone bill for first month even when he pay $325 ETF on AT&T iphone 5 to terminate the contract. Is this true? Do you have to pay the first month's bill even when you terminate the contract immediately after buying the phone?

Yes, he will have to pay more than just $50.
Prorated first months bill plus $36 activation fee etc...
He's doing you a favor so its not cheap or free to do just so you know.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
Yes, once you remove the sim the CDMA part of the verizon phone will still work in order to get 3G but not LTE service.
In the US CDMA only phones do not use sim cards same goes for the verizon iphone 5 that we are talking about.

Not on Verizon LTE phones

Verizon stores your info on the SIM card, both the CDMA and the lte stuff get provisioned through the SIM card

One can move between LTE phones by simply swapping sims, rather than calling Verizon like you used to a few years ago

paulya

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
Saint-P
Yes, he will have to pay more than just $50.
Prorated first months bill plus $36 activation fee etc...
He's doing you a favor so its not cheap or free to do just so you know.

So if I send my iPhone abroad(europe) to my sister, do I have to terminate carrier? Or can I forgot it?

And second question: Tell me please can I buy a couple i5 in one time?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
So if I send my iPhone abroad(europe) to my sister, do I have to terminate carrier? Or can I forgot it?

And second question: Tell me please can I buy a couple i5 in one time?

You don't have to cancel the contract but you do have to get the eBay unlock for the AT&T iPhone 5 to work there.
And you can buy as many as you want if you can find them in stock and if you're willing to pay for it.

paulya

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
Saint-P
You don't have to cancel the contract but you do have to get the eBay unlock for the AT&T iPhone 5 to work there.
But if I don't cancel carrier I need to pay for 'using' every month?
Or nothing payments to AT&T carrier after eBay unlocked?
And you can buy as many as you want if you can find them in stock and if you're willing to pay for it.
Are you kidding? God blass if thats true^^ But what about limits? I heard 2 gadgets in one hand and not more... Thx

R4VR

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
But if I don't cancel carrier I need to pay for 'using' every month?
Or nothing payments to AT&T carrier after eBay unlocked?

Are you kidding? God blass if thats true^^ But what about limits? I heard 2 gadgets in one hand and not more... Thx

By signing up with AT&T you are signing a contract and will be required to pay the monthly fee for that contract no matter where your iPhone is or what phone your using. So if your intention is to upgrade for $199, plus the activation fee of $35 plus the first months fee of $50 - $100 plus the termination fee... You'll pay a total of $610 - $660 for the iPhone. They do this on purpose, your better off buying an unlocked out of contract iPhone to start with.

The unlock is really for those that buy the iPhone out of contract and want it fully unlocked or those that plan to travel internationally and want to use a prepaid sim while abroad. It's also useful for unlocking your device for sale after you have fulfilled your contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.