Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netslacker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
For those debating a switch to Lightroom 4 you can (currently) pick it up for 79.99 from Amazon.com.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Dang, I got it at $109 on Wed when it dropped to that price. I should have waited just a couple more days...

litedesign

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
I paid full price for Lightroom 4 on Adobe's website 1 week ago!

Does anyone have any experience "returning" Adobe Lightroom Products?

Adobe wants me to "deactivate" and uninstall the product before they will refund my money. But the only instructions they give you apply to CS5. Apparently, you CAN'T deactivate Lightroom, and there is no single-app uninstaller, like for CS. So what do they expect me to do?

I am tempted to submit a refund request to Adobe and then just buy and download the Amazon product now while it's still on sale and see what happens. I could always return the Amazon product if Adobe rejects my refund request, right?

UPDATE:
Ok, a little research shows that Amazon's downloadable software is NOT returnable. So what are my chances of getting a refund from Adobe?

Last edited:

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
so tempted .. cant decide if i want LR or Aperture

I just bought LR 4 to switch away from Aperture. When a major pro photographer (Scott Bourne) decided that Aperture was no longer worth using over Lightroom, I listened. He was a big fan of Aperture up until LR 4 came out. LR 4 has leapfrogged Aperture in terms of photo processing now. The main feature I like is the much better noise reduction in LR. There are also tons more presets available for LR as well as books (Scott Kelby's, for example) on how to use it.

LR 4 has been out almost a year, now, and Apple still hasn't come out with a feature comparable upgrade for Aperture. I'm betting that if when they do finally update it, it will be a dumbed down version similar to what they did with Final Cut Pro. Apple has just been getting lazy in the pro software market. I don't think they really want to be in that market any longer. Really, they don't need to be since it probably isn't even a bump on their bottom line.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Dang, I got it at $109 on Wed when it dropped to that price. I should have waited just a couple more days...

I actually ordered the physical box on Wednesday @ $109.99. Thursday, I find out it dropped to $99.99, so I cancelled the original order and just repurchased it as a download for the cheaper price. Then yesterday, I saw that it went down another $20 so I called Amazon to whine and complain. Because the second purchase was a download, there was no way to cancel it so I asked for a $20 refund or Amazon credit. At first, the customer service girl kept giving me her scripted rebuttal but I kept pressing on and asked for a manager. She put me on hold for a couple minutes, came back, and told me her manager had approved a one-time courtesy price match. You may wanna try it. You have nothing to lose.

Also: Photoshop Elements 11 on sale for $44.99 (released September 2012)

EDIT: Lightroom 4 is back to $99.99. Probably won't offer the price match now. Elements, however, is still at the same price.

Attachments

• Photo Nov 23, 6 11 54 PM.png
    Photo Nov 23, 6 11 54 PM.png
    140.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Buckeyes1995

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
Lightroom 4 is back to $79.99 digital download at Amazon. Probably just a cyber Monday deal. I had a $50 gift card, so picked it up for $29.99.. good thing too my trial only had 4 days left.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
The $99 DVD version is for both PC and Mac versions. Since I have one of each type of computer, does anyone know if buyin the $79 digital download entitles me to both versions?

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
I paid full price for Lightroom 4 on Adobe's website 1 week ago!

Does anyone have any experience "returning" Adobe Lightroom Products?

Adobe wants me to "deactivate" and uninstall the product before they will refund my money. But the only instructions they give you apply to CS5. Apparently, you CAN'T deactivate Lightroom, and there is no single-app uninstaller, like for CS. So what do they expect me to do?

I am tempted to submit a refund request to Adobe and then just buy and download the Amazon product now while it's still on sale and see what happens. I could always return the Amazon product if Adobe rejects my refund request, right?

UPDATE:
Ok, a little research shows that Amazon's downloadable software is NOT returnable. So what are my chances of getting a refund from Adobe?

I'd call Adobe anyway and see what they can do (refund, help with deactivate, etc). It's worth a shot.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
This is a great deal for those of you who don't already own it. I work the majority of the time in LR too. It's a great tool to use in combination with PS.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
The $99 DVD version is for both PC and Mac versions. Since I have one of each type of computer, does anyone know if buyin the $79 digital download entitles me to both versions?

If you purchase as a download, the downloaded version will be specific to the operating system you're using at that moment. If you're on your Mac, you obviously want to purchase the Mac download.

What you can do for your Windows computer is go on Adobe's site and download the trial version of Lightroom 4 for Windows. When the application is installed on your computer and you open it for the first time, you will be given the option to run the 30-day trial or enter the product key if you already have one. I'm pretty sure that the product key that is given to you on Amazon's site will work since the license allows you to install the product on two computers and it is unlikely that the product key is locked to any one operating system. What if you only owned a PC and later switched to Mac? I don't think Adobe would make you purchase Lightroom all over again. The PC vs Mac options on Amazon are there just to make sure you select the right version for the computer you're using at that moment.

Last edited:

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan

Dang, I got it from App Store at 149$ about a month ago. But, then again, I'm not in America so ordering from Amazon may not work. Damn, just checked .JP site: 8,072¥, or about 109$.

Oh well. I love the app and will use it till I have to replace it with the next version in a couple of years.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Anyone still looking for Lightroom might want to wait through the holidays. I grabbed the boxed version from Amazon through one of their black Friday lightning deals for $74.99 and I'm pretty sure that deal ran one more time over the weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if it ran again sometime in the next few weeks as Amazon tends to run these deals a few times. As others have pointed out, the box gives you the option of PC or Mac where the download is locked to a specific platform, and you don't have to bother installing from the disc - just use the code inside with a trial version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.