Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
I just came back from returning my iPhone 5 to the Apple Store Pasadena. I was a bit perplexed because the store manager said that I could only return my iPhone 5 verizon if I had the sim card with it.

I was suprised as to why I need to return the phone with a sim card even as it will be deactivated and cannot be reused. Everything was included in the box short of the sim. He went so far to tell me the sim was similar to the headphones. If I didnt have the headphones them he would be unable to take the phone back, which I understand.

I tired to reason with him and say that sim card itself cannot be re-used. Unfortunately his response was that everything apple puts in the box has to be returned back to apple. I want to know if this is store policy or has occurred to anyone else?

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Hi.

Generally Everything that was in the box will need to be returned for a refund.

The SIM card may seem minor to you but possibly not to them.

Would you try to return a kettle without its power cord ?

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
I just came back from returning my iPhone 5 to the Apple Store Pasadena. I was a bit perplexed because the store manager said that I could only return my iPhone 5 verizon if I had the sim card with it.

I was suprised as to why I need to return the phone with a sim card even as it will be deactivated and cannot be reused. Everything was included in the box short of the sim. He went so far to tell me the sim was similar to the headphones. If I didnt have the headphones them he would be unable to take the phone back, which I understand.

I tired to reason with him and say that sim card itself cannot be re-used. Unfortunately his response was that everything apple puts in the box has to be returned back to apple. I want to know if this is store policy or has occurred to anyone else?

Better question, why are even keeping the SIM if you are returning the phone?

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Hi.

I don't think that is a good comparison. I would compare it to the kettle packaged with a glowstick. Once I crack that glow-stick there is no way they can use again.

Better question, why are even keeping the SIM if you are returning the phone?

I bought another iPhone 5 for a better a price.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
I don't think that is a good comparison. I would compare it to the kettle packaged with a glowstick. Once I crack that glow-stick there is no way they can use again.

I bought another iPhone 5 for a better a price.

Got it. Why not just swap sims with the other iPhone u just purchased? If it did not come with a sim, I have one for sale if interested. I am in la/Glendale.

Also, just wondering, how did u pay for the better deal deal iPhone?

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
If you're returning the phone they'll need the SIM card. If you bought another iPhone why not just go to your carrier and ask for a new SIM card, they're free.

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
Got it. Why not just swap sims with the other iPhone u just purchased? If it did not come with a sim, I have one for sale if interested. I am in la/Glendale.

Also, just wondering, how did u pay for the better deal deal iPhone?

I bought the phone off a private seller. I got a 64 for less than i paid for the 32gb in store.

----------

If you're returning the phone they'll need the SIM card. If you bought another iPhone why not just go to your carrier and ask for a new SIM card, they're free.

I used my ipad mini sim, so i was able to return it. I'm just womdering why does apple require the sim?

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
Hi.

Since when has any phone shipped with a SIM card?

OP, did you get the phone from Apple on contract or, as your posting suggests, outright?

I'd imagine you'd need to return the SIM card if you were breaking the contract, but there is no way you'd be required to if the phone was purchased outright.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.