Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland , OH
I can kill every app and I still get the GPS icon when waking the phone up. It stays on for 5-10 seconds then goes away. I thought it was a bad app, but I haven't downloaded any new apps and it occurs even when I force close all apps. It has just started in the past day or two. Anyone else experience this? It cannot be good for battery life.

Verizon iPhone 5. Not jailbroken.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You mean the Location arrow icon? Go to Location Services in Settings app to see what apps are using location. Then you can decide if it is a problem or not.

Bswartz95

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Cleveland , OH
You mean the Location arrow icon? Go to Location Services in Settings app to see what apps are using location. Then you can decide if it is a problem or not.

Yes, the location arrow. I've gone through and turned off the location for each app one by one, testing to see which service it was, but no luck. The only way to solve the problem is to turn location service off completely, which I really don't want to do.

----------

Found the culprit.

PASSBOOK! I knew that I didn't download or use a new app, but I did save something to Passbook.

Hopefully someone else can use this information to help them with battery life.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Known behavior. Described in keynote, how the phone is going to know you are in a place to activate the lock screen shortcut...

Boarding pass if in airport.
Starbucks card when near your favorite.
Etc

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Yes, the location arrow. I've gone through and turned off the location for each app one by one, testing to see which service it was, but no luck. The only way to solve the problem is to turn location service off completely, which I really don't want to do.

----------

Found the culprit.

PASSBOOK! I knew that I didn't download or use a new app, but I did save something to Passbook.

Hopefully someone else can use this information to help them with battery life.

Passbook does that so it launches your gift cards when you arrive, say at a Starbucks, so it is ready for use. I disabled that from location services.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.