Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raghunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
I have iphone 4s which is already in sync with my Mac pro, The question i have is that I also have iphone 3 GS which I want to upgrade with new IOS by connecting to same MBP.
Wondering how that works, does 3GS wipes out iphone 4s data on MBP when connected to itunes ?? please advice.

Thanks.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
No, it doesnt wipe anything out.
You can sync multiple idevices with the same itunes library.
Many iphones, ipods, ipads etc....
Nothing will be erased, you can pick and choose what you want to sync to each device.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
You'll be fine, I've regularly run my 2G, 3G, 4 and iPod all off the same computer and there are no conflicts.

raghunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Thank you for information. So I can use same apple ID for all the devices and apple is well in tracking all the software and apps that I down load in to different devices is it ?

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Thank you for information. So I can use same apple ID for all the devices and apple is well in tracking all the software and apps that I down load in to different devices is it ?

Yes, however remember that you have a 5 device limit for any purchases off the iTunes store.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Yes, you can use the same apple id to share all the apps with all your idevices in your household. You dont have to pay for the same app for each device different.
The 5 limit is for the computers/itunes libraries you can use to sync and download those apps logged in the same apple id.
The devices like ipod touch, iphones, ipad can be more than 5.

raghunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Thank you for information again. Appreciate your time, it is really helpful to me.

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
No, it doesnt wipe anything out.
You can sync multiple idevices with the same itunes library.
Many iphones, ipods, ipads etc....
Nothing will be erased, you can pick and choose what you want to sync to each device.
ok so how do i do that? My son has an ipod and he wants me to add music the ipod but im not sure how to do it without deleting my info from my 4s. could you guide me thru it please?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
ok so how do i do that? My son has an ipod and he wants me to add music the ipod but im not sure how to do it without deleting my info from my 4s. could you guide me thru it please?

You gotta copy his music in your itunes library.
Then sync just his songs to his ipod by making playlists or just selecting them and drag and drop.
You wont delete anything on your 4S, just make sure you dont sync his music to your iphone if you dont like his songs:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.