Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
Well, I screwed up royally this time. I downloaded an official 30 day trial of Windows 7 Pro 64x to load onto my 2008 MP. I burnt the iso as an image to a DVD and began the Bootcamp process. All was going well until Windows said I had a missing or corrupt file. I aborted the install and rebooted into OS 10.7.5 by holding down the Option key. I was thinking I'd download Win7 again and burn another DVD. Well, I happened to look at my desktop and the second hard drive has been renamed as "System Reserved." The 500 Gig HD is now showing only 104.9 gigs of capacity and has been reformatted as NTFS. The time of creation is not correct, BTW if that helps any.

I swear I did not knowingly select that drive for anything during the install process. Am I screwed or can I get the data on the HD back? The system hard drive appears to be untouched. I have done a search on this forum and Google, but everything I have found is within the context of the system drive having a new partition. It is my second drive that was done in.

wcdamsch

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Bummer! Same thing happened to my sdd with a burned WIN 7 DVD. I could not find a solution anywhere, I had to reformat and restore from a time machine backup. Second time around I used a USB stick instead of a DVD and it worked fine.

jpine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
Bummer! Same thing happened to my sdd with a burned WIN 7 DVD. I could not find a solution anywhere, I had to reformat and restore from a time machine backup. Second time around I used a USB stick instead of a DVD and it worked fine.

Glad you had TM as a backup. Unfortunately for me, HD #2 WAS the Time Machine backup. :mad:

----------

BTW, did you try one of the data recovery software programs or is what happened to us beyond what recovery programs are capable of?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.