Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibesaam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Hello everyone,

I am a long time user of macrumors but this is my first time posting so go easy on me please.

Anyways this is my problem; sometimes pictures from the iPhone are nice and in full size 1536 x 2056 px. Other times for some reason the pictures taken are under 300kb and 768 x 1024 px. These pictures are all taken with the rear camera of the iPhone 4. It makes no sense! I can not figure out what is causing this! someone please help. I have included two samples of images.

EDIT: I have also noticed that the smaller picture does not contain picture information like that it has been taken with an iPhone or the exposure and location etc.

Last edited:

ibesaam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Do you zoom in to take photo's sometimes?

Hey thank you for the response. No zooming, no cropping, no editing.
I do not have the same problem with my iPhone 5 and I have had every iPhone from the original so I also know a thing or two *not claiming to be an expert* but I know more than the average user for sure. It is only with the iPhone 4 that I have this issue.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
How are you getting the pictures off the phone? Certain methods can affect the image size.

EDIT: I have also noticed that the smaller picture does not contain picture information like that it has been taken with an iPhone or the exposure and location etc.
...and methods that resize may strip the EXIF data as you've noticed.

ibesaam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
How are you getting the pictures off the phone? Certain methods can affect the image size.

...and methods that resize may strip the EXIF data as you've noticed.

Another good question. I have tried emailing and photo stream and iMessaging to my computer and with every method I have the same results which is a mixture of both. For example both of the above pictures were synced with photo stream with wifi. Using Cellular data also doesnt change anything and they turn out the same. A mix of both.

It makes no sense to me. I have done my research and tried what I can but still getting a lot of small pictures.

----------

I should also add that when I email the pictures the small ones dont even give me the option to resize but the larger ones do. If I email a picture that happens to be shrunk for some reason it just emails no questions asked. The larger ones show me the option for small medium or large or actual size.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Another good question. I have tried emailing and photo stream and iMessaging to my computer and with every method I have the same results which is a mixture of both. For example both of the above pictures were synced with photo stream with wifi. Using Cellular data also doesnt change anything and they turn out the same. A mix of both.

It makes no sense to me. I have done my research and tried what I can but still getting a lot of small pictures.

----------

I should also add that when I email the pictures the small ones dont even give me the option to resize but the larger ones do. If I email a picture that happens to be shrunk for some reason it just emails no questions asked. The larger ones show me the option for small medium or large or actual size.

Have you tried importing them directly from the phone instead photo stream? When you email them does it give you the option of what size you'd like? Just wondering if shows what the file size of the original image is when you email them?

Oops just read that last part. Never mind.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Ridiculous questions, but want to make sure:

You ARE using the rear camera, correct?
With the Apple camera app?
Have you tried using Image Capture to import the pictures?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK

Didn't even think about that. I don't remember what the 4's resolution on the front camera was. But good observation.

ibesaam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for the response.

Yes I am using the rear camera.
Yes I am using the Native Apple Camera App and NOT one from a third party developer
No I have not because my main problem is when I share the pictures they are all small. I would like to be able to share them at the proper size. Weather that be via email, iMessage, or Photo stream.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Thanks for the response.

Yes I am using the rear camera.
Yes I am using the Native Apple Camera App and NOT one from a third party developer
No I have not because my main problem is when I share the pictures they are all small. I would like to be able to share them at the proper size. Weather that be via email, iMessage, or Photo stream.

Ok, try Image Capture to to see if the pictures come out full size there, you can try it on one of the ones that's smaller. Oh, just to clarify, is this with ALL pictures or just some?

*Edit - Are you using HDR on some of these??

ibesaam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
Ok, try Image Capture to to see if the pictures come out full size there, you can try it on one of the ones that's smaller. Oh, just to clarify, is this with ALL pictures or just some?

*Edit - Are you using HDR on some of these??

I cant at the moment..and might not be able to for a while. Hence I am sharing the photos.
No to using HDR
No to it happening to all pictures it is only just some of them as I demonstrated (attempted to) with the pictures above

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.