Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_6_maps_icon-150x148.jpg
As Apple continues to work toward improving the new Maps service the company rolled out in iOS 6, Bloomberg reports that Apple has fired Richard Williamson, the manager directly responsible for the project.
Richard Williamson, who oversaw the mapping team, was fired by Senior Vice President Eddy Cue, said the people, who asked not to be named because the information wasn't yet public. Cue, who took over last month as part of a management shakeup, is seeking advice from outside mapping-technology experts and prodding digital maps provider TomTom NV to fix landmark and navigation data it shares with Apple.
As part of a management shakeup at Apple announced last month, iOS chief Scott Forstall will be leaving the company next year and his responsibilities have been delegated to other executives. With Eddy Cue now overseeing Maps in addition to his iTunes Store, App Store, iCloud, iBookstore, iAd, and Siri responsibilities, Apple has brought on its "product resuscitator" to help fix the highly criticized service.

Cue is said to be taking a very hands-on approach with Maps, and with his firing of Williamson seems to be looking to build his own team to address the service's many issues.

Article Link: Apple Fires Manager Responsible for Maps as Eddy Cue Turns to Outsiders for Help

SprodeBoy

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2012
Mankato, Minnesota
I don't see why. I have found so many cool places my being misguided! After moving to Alabama accidentally while trying to find a Hardee's, I couldn't be happier

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
I feel bad for Williamson. After he was fired he couldn't find his way out of the building.

dearfriendx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
San Diego, CA
I've been using the Maps app since like June and haven't had any problems. What's it doing for the rest of you? Like guiding you into a lake? Hahaha you guys are like Dwight Shrute.

kshitijshah

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2012
As a long time iPhone user outside the USA I feel pretty let down with Maps especially since google is going all out to please a worldwide audience. Apple could definitely do with outside help. iOS 7 please show the world why we love Apple so much.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
well ... even the app icon tells u to jump over a bridge sooooo

anyway, so sick of seeing my city in black and white

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
I actually have 0 problems with maps besides that I don't have flyover in my city. It's pretty good though :)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
How this happened originally is crazy. Firing people now is too late - the mess already happened.

splatterific

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2012
I would hate to say it looks like apple has lost it's grip iOS is everything and isn't any better or different in appearance since the original. Beginning to be prehistoric

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I've been using the Maps app since like June and haven't had any problems. What's it doing for the rest of you? Like guiding you into a lake? Hahaha you guys are like Dwight Shrute.

It put my residential building as a 'point of interest' and a 'public school'. And that was true, abck in 1903 until 1941

elberto1

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
Dear Apple

Apple,

Just buy google already and make their maps (with voice navigation) yours.

You know that the purchase would barely make a dent in your corporate surplus anyways.

What's stopping you? Anti-trust?

macidiot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Funny thing, I haven't really encountered any problems with maps.

I've used it in Los Angeles, New York, Salt Lake City, Miami, and the respective surrounding regions. Search, turn by turn, etc. Seems to work fine. If anything, its a lot faster and has a cleaner interface.

Go figure. :rolleyes:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Ok can we now fire who ever approved the changes to the AppStore UI? Or would that require firing Cue himself?

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels

I used it twice over the weekend - first time was to go to a hotel for a wedding. It sent me to a residential culdesac near the hotel and told me I was there.

Second time was to go to a bday party that turned out to be at a store in an outdoor mall. It sent me to a residential street behind the mall and told me I was there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.