Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
How long does it normally take to get an AppleID password reset message from Apple? My wife forgot her password so we went through the steps to reset it. It's been three days now, the password reset dialog stated that the email had been sent. Do they send these messages via USPS? We tried going through that reset thing again yesterday and still nothing. :(

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Four days now, still no reset message from Apple. Is this normal?

Apple has been a LOT slower about resetting appleid passwords ever since a journalist had his appleid taken over by someone using social engineering and calling apple support to get in the guy's account. Before the journalist knew what was happening, all the content on his iPhone and Mac were deleted by the bad guy. I suggest you call AppleCare about this but be prepared for slow service. The last thing you want is for some third party to be able to take over your account quickly. Unfortunately this also means that you can't get back in quickly. Are you using a me.com, mac.com or icloud.com email as your appleid? This might mean the recovery email went to an address you can no longer access. Verify with apple what address they are sending the recovery message to and make sure it isn't sitting in spam. I find that gmail's clueless spam filter relegates everything from apple, paypal or facebook to spam. Even email from my bank goes to spam.

This is why gmail is not my primary email provider. I need to be able to use email without dredging through a folder full of questionable email offers and phishing scams looking for my bank statements.

jekyl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Mid-Michigan
Problem solved!

This morning I finally gave up and set up to talk to iTunes support. It took maybe 10 minutes to receive the call back and resolve the problem. I might be getting a little feeble minded with advancing age, it seems when I set up my wife's Apple ID I (somehow?) managed to instead set it as my own alternate email address, which both showed it as in use AND prevented it from being used as an Apple ID. Anyway, the fix was both simple and at that point obvious as well as a really good display of how really excellent Apple support is. That Apple Genius never let on how stupid he must have thought I was. And now her MacBook Pro is finally properly connected to iCloud.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.