Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darshie76

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
I am looking for something that would save me the hassle to have to sync various folders.

Basically I work with video and photos; I have 2 different folders for each media, and each folder contains more folders with my projects.

When I add photos/videos, or modify them, I have to either copy the whole folder in my backup location, or I have to do it manually, looking at what I modified, check date modified, size of the folders and spend time doing the sync.

Is there any app (free or not), that would check a folder for changes (every day or so), find if there are changes and copy only what was modified? Without overwrite everything? (one folder has 580 Gb, the other .9 Tb; as you can imagine copy all is not an option).

I have tried writing a shell script, but more than once I just blew everything, because for a reason or another a file would lock and not being copied, or the date would not be consistent with the effective modified date and so on, so I am hoping that there is out there something simple that just monitor 2 folders and keep them in sync, preserving the structure and avoiding to copy all every single time.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.