Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sic139

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Hi,

The verizon iPhone 5 can't do data and talk and the same time. Does this restriction apply only to CDMA networks?

Or is data and talk also not possible with the verizon iPhone 5 on GSM / LTE networks (in europe / t-mobile US)?

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Yes it has to do with CDMA network. Not sure if anyone that is using the Verizon unlocked model on gsm network and has data and talk at same time.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Yes it has to do with CDMA network. Not sure if anyone that is using the Verizon unlocked model on gsm network and has data and talk at same time.

Actually it's because the iPhone 5 uses the same antenna for CDMA and LTE thus only allowing for one at a time. All other Verizon LTE phones allow voice and data at the same time. Some even support SVDO allowing voice and data over 3G.

sic139

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Actually I won't be using it on a CDMA network at all. So I would like to know if the CDMA version allows data and talk at the same time on a GSM network?

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Actually I won't be using it on a CDMA network at all. So I would like to know if the CDMA version allows data and talk at the same time on a GSM network?

Yes if you are on a GSM network it will work.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
I frequently talk and surf simultaneously on my Verizon iPhone 5. You just have to forego the telcos' antiquated voice services and use one of these apps:
GV Phone
TextPlus
etc

All have quite good voice quality over wifi or LTE.

sic139

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009

That's great!! That was a huge drawback for me.
good to know, especially since the unlocked iPhone 5 is pretty much useless on european LTE so the verizon is the most international one to buy...

----------

I frequently talk and surf simultaneously on my Verizon iPhone 5. You just have to forego the telcos' antiquated voice services and use one of these apps:
GV Phone
TextPlus
etc

All have quite good voice quality over wifi or LTE.

No it's more that I want to be able to check email or other data depending services while on a voice call.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
No it's more that I want to be able to check email or other data depending services while on a voice call.

Not sure I follow you, unless you are saying you want to be able to press Apple's preloaded cute button for voice calls rather than install another. You still talk to people all the same, except the other apps let you put voice in the background and check email etc.
As other posters say though, if you are on a gsm network with 3G yes Apple's voice app allows simultaneous use too.

sic139

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
Not sure I follow you, unless you are saying you want to be able to press Apple's preloaded cute button for voice calls rather than install another. You still talk to people all the same, except the other apps let you put voice in the background and check email etc.
As other posters say though, if you are on a gsm network with 3G yes Apple's voice app allows simultaneous use too.

Yes, that's not so weird is it? No fancy apps like skype or iGVoice or whatever. When somebody calls me, like a plain old regular call, I want to use data too at the same time (on a GSM network)...

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012

So the LTE transceiver in a VZW iPhone 5 can use a GSM/GPRS/EDGE network? I didn't realize that it's that backward-compatible. I assumed that when LTE isn't available, it drops to CDMA. Is that not the case?

swervinsuburban

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
So the LTE transceiver in a VZW iPhone 5 can use a GSM/GPRS/EDGE network? I didn't realize that it's that backward-compatible. I assumed that when LTE isn't available, it drops to CDMA. Is that not the case?

No, it uses Verizon's network in the us so it can't bounce to GSM it's carrier locked but its a world phone so overseas it can bounce to CDMA or GSM etc

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
The Verizon iPhone 5 is fully unlocked and will work with ANY GSM sim card as part of the agreement they have with the FCC for use of 700 mhz band for LTE. LTE working overseas is a different story, but the phone will work with carrier HSPA+ networks.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
I'm hoping that the 5S will do data and talk at the same time on VZW. I'll upgrade if it does....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.