Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiantech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
We have 13" MBP and 15" MBP. What do you think of apple making two versions of the iPhone. 4" and a larger ~4.7"? I see people jump too quickly saying we only need one screen. Why? Apple makes multiple screen sizes for their desktops, notebooks, and even iPads now. Why not the iPhone. I think its a good direction to make everyone happy.

Also technically, apple makes two iPhone sizes now, but not at launch.

Please keep this discussion intelligent. Explain why you agree or disagree.

vaio1990

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Hmm that's a great name.... Or we can just call the current iPhone as iPhone Mini

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I doubt there's a need (demand) for two iPhone sizes. As long as Apple keeps putting "iPhone" on a product, regardless of the size of the screen, people will buy it. Two screen sizes creates unnecessary problems for Apple.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
If they start to bring out multiple screen sizes with multiple hardware specs, just watch what happens to our beloved app store ; )

That is all.

kiantech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
If they start to bring out multiple screen sizes with multiple hardware specs, just watch what happens to our beloved app store ; )

That is all.

I thought about this. We already have multiple resolutions and DPIs. Maybe the software needs to evolve like the desktop. Computer applications are able to scale with resolutions. What makes a touch screen device different.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
I thought about this. We already have multiple resolutions and DPIs. Maybe the software needs to evolve like the desktop. Computer applications are able to scale with resolutions. What makes a touch screen device different.

What makes a touch device any different?

Android.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Isn't it fascinating how narrow minded people can be? Fearful ... paranoid. Is Apple enjoying too much success?

These same people argued against the iPad mini, and yet Apple hasn't self destructed after creating one.

But two sizes of iPhones would be too difficult? Or destroy the company? Would the app developers quit?

Really?

Are you sure?

And just how do you know?

Please tell us more, wise visionaries...

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Ultimately Apple will only do it if they feel that it's justified by the potential profits. Right now it's probably easier, cheaper, and more efficient to mass produce one device. Plus sales haven't fallen off, but have instead increased despite the flood of large Android phones into the market. It took them a while just be able to keep iPhone 5s stocked in stores. So right now the mass market hasn't decided that it wants large 5"+ screen phones from Apple. If sales slow due to screen size, then you may see Apple react with a larger model.

Bottom line: Apple will only do it if/when the potential profit is worthwhile.

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011

That is all.

Ehh? is that not what we have now, iPhone 4s, and iPhone 5. iPad 4, iPad mini not too mention all the legacy devices like 3GS? They all have different screen sizes/resolutions and hardware specs.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Ehh? is that not what we have now, iPhone 4s, and iPhone 5. iPad 4, iPad mini not too mention all the legacy devices like 3GS? They all have different screen sizes/resolutions and hardware specs.

Not really. I think the developers are focusing their attention on making the software as smooth as possible on the latest flagship machines (iPad 4th generation, iPhone5). With the other devices you mentioned, the software does not necessarily run as smoothly, and I'm sure the iPhone 4S and iPad Mini apps are now just scaled down versions of the full sized apps.

If you have two iPhone lines, the app store will be further fragmented, because there will be 2 iPhones coming out each year, and so the one with the higher spec will be the focus while the lower spec iPhone will get the boot.

So what you are basically arguing for is for making the iPhone Pro the main iPhone, and the iPhone would just have the smaller 4" display that no one really wants because it is no longer the flagship.

I think this discussion is moot. Apple has based the foundation of their cellular phone on the fact that it's one hand operational and has a stable and solid app store. Building a second iPhone with a larger screen is just contradictory.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I'd love apple to have two sizes - a 4.3+ screen for everyone who wants that and go back to 3.5" for the other size: I haven't upgraded my 4s because I simply don't want a bigger screen (I've tried bigger screens and didn't like them at all)

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I'd love apple to have two sizes - a 4.3+ screen for everyone who wants that and go back to 3.5" for the other size: I haven't upgraded my 4s because I simply don't want a bigger screen (I've tried bigger screens and didn't like them at all)

The app store would be a mess. The developers would have to to script their apps for different screen sizes and just getting that approved by Apple would take even longer. The only way it would work is if the screen dimensions kept a 16:9 aspect.

benkelly92

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2012
I'm a developer myself and I've got to say I'm in support of this, when making an app we already have to make non-retina, retina and 4" graphics. I also have a Galaxy SIII and the screen is really cool, I would love to have an Apple device that big.

The problem with Android is there are literally hundreds of devices and too many spam and useless apps in the play store. Still, apps on android aren't terrible, I think that there are some other underlying problems there such as lack of frameworks and sluggishness of the jve running on low power devices. I think Apple could pull it off.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
I'm against this. It seems too nit-picky even for Apple standards. Their phones have always been released in standard sizes, I can't imagine them changing that now. Laptops/notebooks, on the other hand, have always come in all different shapes and sizes (as an industry standard), so It's more understandable for them to provide people with variety on that front.

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
The reason why the iPhone experience is nirvana is because they keep it uniform. This is why android is so fragmented and sloppy.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
We have 13" MBP and 15" MBP. What do you think of apple making two versions of the iPhone. 4" and a larger ~4.7"? I see people jump too quickly saying we only need one screen. Why? Apple makes multiple screen sizes for their desktops, notebooks, and even iPads now. Why not the iPhone. I think its a good direction to make everyone happy.

In case you haven't noticed, Apple is axing resolutions and screen sizes in an effort to conform down.

They got rid of the 17" MBP, and the iPad mini uses the resolution of the iPad 2.

I think it's safe to say they are trying to reduce their product line options not expand them wildly.

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
I'm against this. It seems too nit-picky even for Apple standards. Their phones have always been released in standard sizes, I can't imagine them changing that now. Laptops/notebooks, on the other hand, have always come in all different shapes and sizes (as an industry standard), so It's more understandable for them to provide people with variety on that front.

That's just what people are used to. Had they released 2 sizes right from the beginning and suddenly decided to drop to one, you would have mass hysteria.

kiantech

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
In case you haven't noticed, Apple is axing resolutions and screen sizes in an effort to conform down.

They got rid of the 17" MBP, and the iPad mini uses the resolution of the iPad 2.

I think it's safe to say they are trying to reduce their product line options not expand them wildly.

By your argument apple will never release a retina iPad mini.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010

It's better to have just one screen size no need to complicate things. What would be the use of a 5 inch screen over 4.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
That's just what people are used to. Had they released 2 sizes right from the beginning and suddenly decided to drop to one, you would have mass hysteria.

Not necessarily. The thing that sets Apple apart from other mobile OS developers (Microsoft, Google, RIM etc.) is that they also make their own hardware. They have more control over the uniformity of both the software and the hardware aspect of their products.

For example, Motorola, LG, Nokia and Samsung, like any other business, are out to make as much money as possible - so they're going to release as many handsets in as many different sizes as possible - considering that they can only rely on pulling in profits via handset manufacturing (as oppose to software).

Apple is unique in the sense that they aren't subject to this sort of pressure - so they don't over-complicate their phone product line (in terms of hardware). Standardization plays a huge role in their approach towards integrating simplicity and uniformity into their products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.