Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
London, UK
Hi all,

I'm with EE and just noticed an unusable high bill! I've sent a few group text messages to around 25 people and each message has cost me 35p because it's been sent as a picture message!

Surely if I go to send a new SMS and select multiple recipients then it should count as 25 x SMS messages, and not 25 x picture messages?

One of them actually sent as an email and they charged me £23, but refunded it as a 'goodwill gesture'. I'm really confused why both happened!

I have an iPhone 5 with iOS 6.0.1

Can any one shed any light?

Cheers!

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Hi,

what did ee have to say when you told them? did they offer any explaination as to what happened / why the text messages where billed in that way?

Vermillon

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2011
UK ( From South Africa )
Hi all,

I'm with EE and just noticed an unusable high bill! I've sent a few group text messages to around 25 people and each message has cost me 35p because it's been sent as a picture message!

Surely if I go to send a new SMS and select multiple recipients then it should count as 25 x SMS messages, and not 25 x picture messages?

One of them actually sent as an email and they charged me £23, but refunded it as a 'goodwill gesture'. I'm really confused why both happened!

Cheers!

should have gone with three

dannster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
London, UK
Hi,

what did ee have to say when you told them? did they offer any explaination as to what happened / why the text messages where billed in that way?

They said it was a problem with iPhone's and I should avoid sending group SMS in future to avoid the charges :confused:

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
I have just done a quick google search and it seems that this has been an issue going back to 2009. Might well be true..still it shouldn't still be the case. Would have thought it would have been fixed.

Can you turn off mms..so that you can't send mms messages?

MattBookBower

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Bournemouth, England
Hi all,

Cheers!

You may find that the contact you selected and the iPhone sent the email to, has the default contact in the contact as the email address.

This might have been the case on the others that it tried to send as a MMS as well.

I know a few of my contacts have had the email address as the default contact "number" instead of the number itself.

ieddyuki

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2013
Hi, I have a similar sort of problem but I am getting charged for mms that I have not sent. People I don't know are sending a picture message to a friend but when it is recieved it has my mobile number attached to it. EE ( orange) have admitted that this can happen and are trying to rectify it but it has been going on for atleast 4 months that I know of. It's a pain that I have to check my bill each month just to ring up and get a credit added to my account. I have an iPhone 4S running on latest ios but know that the problem is with EE. Any one else got the same issue?
Many thanks

buryfan

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
That happened to me once, I was trying to send a pic on iMessage (free) but then the person wasn't available so it sent a pic message on SMS and charged me :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.