Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

movementpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
I was just starting up Logic Pro 9 when my iMac froze and went grey, followed by the lovely "Hey, I need to restart because something went wrong" window. Forgiving, I accepted the restart and allowed it to do so.

5 minutes later, i'm still booting up and show no sign of stopping. After tinkering around, I found the following:

Upon startup, Dropbox.app would begin syncing and then a new process called Image Capture Extension would launch. Once this happens, that process would chew up nearly 75% of my RAM, about %25 CPU, and begin writing to my hard drive (no idea what it was writing, no files are showing up).

This renders Dropbox useless and I can't seem to start up my Mac without having to spend 10 minutes waiting for the slow machine to allow me to force quit the process. Any ideas on what this is and/or how to fix it?

movementpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Searched for a bit on the apple forums, and it appears to be a know problem. One user proposed a solution which you can try out, read about it here:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2501601?threadID=2501601&tstart=-1

Good luck:)

Thanks vmachile, but no luck. Trashed the files (saved backups of course), and no luck. That thread focuses on iPhoto, which doesn't affect Image Capture Extension on my computer. Its DropBox that launches it.

I'm not sure what exactly changed since I restarted that would cause a file-sharing application to start ICE to start going on a RAM and Hard Drive space eating feast, but for now I guess there's always the web app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.