Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedRallyeZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Just bought my new Mac Mini and installed an SSD for the boot drive. I clean installed 10.8.2 (via internet recovery) onto the SSD and erased the 1tb drive for storage.

I am trying to move over the home folder via CNETs instructions (found here, copy, paste, then re-designate in system preferences).

Everywhere I look seems to indicate that I am doing it correctly, but the issue is that when I go to paste the Home folder into its new location, the system hangs at 80-90% completion. finder just wont copy it. I have restarted multiple times and get the same result. I can write to the disk, but it wont take this.

Anybody got any bright ideas?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Just bought my new Mac Mini and installed an SSD for the boot drive. I clean installed 10.8.2 (via internet recovery) onto the SSD and erased the 1tb drive for storage.

I am trying to move over the home folder via CNETs instructions (found here, copy, paste, then re-designate in system preferences).

Everywhere I look seems to indicate that I am doing it correctly, but the issue is that when I go to paste the Home folder into its new location, the system hangs at 80-90% completion. finder just wont copy it. I have restarted multiple times and get the same result. I can write to the disk, but it wont take this.

Anybody got any bright ideas?

You also can move(copy) over the home folder manually and create a symlink which points to your home folder on the Boot Volume.

be aware that if you do it the CNET way and you rename the drive you will not be able to log in again, this because it lost the link and a keychain with your password can't be read and the system can't log you in.
I helped someone with this exact problem just a couple of days ago, look into my history, it's easy to find.

Edit: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1497755/

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I have to add a bit more.
If you do it the CNET way you will see a warning in the Preference pane telling you there is a possibility you won't be able to log in, if you do it this way I recommend you to make another User administer account to be safe, if you won't be able to log into your user account at least you can log into the other account since that home folder will still be on the boot volume.

Or enable root access.

RedRallyeZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
I have to add a bit more.
If you do it the CNET way you will see a warning in the Preference pane telling you there is a possibility you won't be able to log in, if you do it this way I recommend you to make another User administer account to be safe, if you won't be able to log into your user account at least you can log into the other account since that home folder will still be on the boot volume.

Or enable root access.

Thank you very much. I appreciate the assistance.

The issue I am having though is prior to even reassigning the home folder is system preferences. I simply copy the "users" folder from its current location on my SSD, then when I go to paste, Finder moves fine for the first 3/4 of the file copy, then dies. just hangs. I've let it sit for hours and still on the same file.

If is stop the transfer, finder will still force me to restart, which I can do successfully with no adverse side effects.

I'm not sure why it is doing this. the Hard drive will allow me to copy other files, in fact larger files (my entire users folder is less than 2.5 GB's since the computer is brand new)

any more suggestions?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thank you very much. I appreciate the assistance.

The issue I am having though is prior to even reassigning the home folder is system preferences. I simply copy the "users" folder from its current location on my SSD, then when I go to paste, Finder moves fine for the first 3/4 of the file copy, then dies. just hangs. I've let it sit for hours and still on the same file.

If is stop the transfer, finder will still force me to restart, which I can do successfully with no adverse side effects.

I'm not sure why it is doing this. the Hard drive will allow me to copy other files, in fact larger files (my entire users folder is less than 2.5 GB's since the computer is brand new)

any more suggestions?

What about instead of copying manually using a sync program.
Do you know CCC(Carbon Copy Cloner), you could use this one but for 1 folder to copy it is a bit complicated.
Maybe SuperDuper or Synchronize! Pro X are better for this, what you need is a (free) program which copies the folder to the back up disk.
Normally i create an empty folder, in your case the Home folder and then use a sync program to sync the home folder on the boot volume with the one on the back up disk.
If there are any errors those programs will tell you what happened and points out which program gives the problem, if it is a small file you don't need it still will copy all the other stuff, Finder refuses this and or hangs or just stops copying altogether.

There could be also a problem in your home folder, you could try repairing permissions with Disk Utility, if lets say there is a file inside the Home folder without permissions rightly set for you the finder won't be able to copy this and might get stuck.

Edit: Superduper is free.

Edit Again: Below a screenshot of SuperDuper, Disk on left is Source(Boot Volume and disk on right is target(GTech) and below choose backup user files.
You probably do not need to create an empty home folder on the backup, the program will probably do so if there is no home folder on the backup, give it a try.
Be aware it might erase the disk, it says so.
Also, I myself prefer Synchronize! Pro X, there is a simpler version available (Synchronize! X Plus), free trail available.

Edit: This one is free!!!! http://www.greenworldsoft.com/sync-folders-free-help.html

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE ditto, rsync...

Hi RedRallyeZ,

...just another suggestion for when Finder copy fails and when you wish to use Terminal commands without downloading another app...(in fact, I believe CCC uses rsync to accomplish its own clone backups)

The terminal command "ditto" will almost never give up when copying, instead it reports errors and continues the copy to the end:

sudo ditto src-directory dest-directory

Similarly, the "rsync" command will copy everything including links and preserving ownerships and permissions. The manpages, "man ditto" and "man rsync" explain how to use both commands with example usages.

Good luck,
Switon

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi RedRallyeZ,

...just another suggestion for when Finder copy fails and when you wish to use Terminal commands without downloading another app...(in fact, I believe CCC uses rsync to accomplish its own clone backups)

The terminal command "ditto" will almost never give up when copying, instead it reports errors and continues the copy to the end:

sudo ditto src-directory dest-directory

Similarly, the "rsync" command will copy everything including links and preserving ownerships and permissions. The manpages, "man ditto" and "man rsync" explain how to use both commands with example usages.

Good luck,
Switon

Why didn't I think of this???
Yeah, a(this) simple terminal command would do the job just fine.

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
Hi, and a query...if you don't mind...

Hi justperry,

I'm curious where "just 7km south of an active upside down volcano" is, if you don't mind explaining?

Thanks,
Switon

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Hi justperry,

I'm curious where "just 7km south of an active upside down volcano" is, if you don't mind explaining?

Thanks,
Switon

Upside down Vulcano

The above is a short read, while you are there you should click on the left side this link Sidoarjo Mud Vulcano.

This story just boggles the mind, a mistake was made while drilling for oil and this happened, thousands of displaced people and no compensation was given, they said an earthquake caused it and the extremely rich owner refuses to pay up, even stranger, he is running for president!!
Only in I.....

Last edited:

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: mud volcano...

The above is a short read, while you are there you should click on the left side this link Sidoarjo Mud Vulcano.

This story just boggles the mind, a mistake was made while drilling for oil and this happened, thousands of displaced people and no compensation was given, they said an earthquake caused it and the extremely rich owner refuses to pay up, even stranger, he is running for president!!
Only in I.....

Thanks for the link ... this is an amazing story.

By the way, one of my favorite books is Simon Winchester's Krakatoa.

Switon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.