Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
A little background [and a little help please]...I am new to Mac after spending 20+ years as a WIndows user...I finally took the plunge and am still working through a number of issues so here goes...

I have a Western Digital ShareSpace NAS drive that contains a share with all my iTunes music...the ShareSpace NAS is CIFS, NFS and AFP compliant which means OS X can read and write to the drive...there are no read / write issues because I have dragged files from my NAS into iTunes 11 in OS X and everything works as it is supposed to...

iTunes 11 on a Windows 7 machine has no issues / problems reading from the NAS and accessing all of my music...

iTunes 11 on an OS X machine does has issues / problems reading from the NAS *NONE OF MY MUSIC IS LOADED*...

I have noticed that the file structure between iTunes for Windows and iTunes for OS X is different...the former stores the music in iTunes/Music folder whereas the later stores the music in the iTunes/Media/Music folder...

I would appreciate any assistance that you can provide in helping me to get this sorted as it is extremely frustrating and -- above all else -- a real issue / problem in moving from Windows to Mac...

With much thanks for your help...

Joel

Trix10

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
Not sure if this is any help at all, but will shamelessly bump your thread regardless!

I access my iTunes music wirelessly which is stored on an external hard drive, attached to the Time Capsule, but before i fire up iTunes i have to open up a finder window, and browse to the external hard drive, which in turn wakes it up and then iTunes can locate the music fine.

Sorry if i've misunderstood, need coffee ;)

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Not sure if this is any help at all, but will shamelessly bump your thread regardless!

I access my iTunes music wirelessly which is stored on an external hard drive, attached to the Time Capsule, but before i fire up iTunes i have to open up a finder window, and browse to the external hard drive, which in turn wakes it up and then iTunes can locate the music fine.

Sorry if i've misunderstood, need coffee ;)

Appreciate the response...I have replicated my iTunes library on an external drive and do some testing later tonight and report back...again, much thanks...

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Although it appears that few are following this thread the problem has more or less be solved...the issue had to do with the difference between iTunes of OS X (which is new to me) and iTunes for Windows (which is old hat to me)...

In OS X to point to a new iTunes library it appears as though one needs to do more than just point to the iTL as in Windows...the extra step is File / Add to Library and then all is good [at least on an initial load]...the reason has to do with the different "file structure"...to many hours lost on this issue which could have been avoided had the two systems been made to be the same, aaarrrrrrrrrrgggggg!

The key discovery here was that iTunes in OS X could not load / read from an HFS+ drive so I figured that there was a problem other than the drive [which was not a problem]...

The other point worth noting is that I mounted the drive via AFP rather than SMB as AFP is more reliable, at least with my drive manufacturer [i.e. WD told me that there were issues with the SMB connectivity which explains why my WD NAS appears / disappears / appears / etc.].

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.