Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
Looking at getting at 24" monitor for my 2012 Mac Mini. I've heard good things about Dell monitors. Has anyone used the ST2421L?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...t=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&st=dell+st2421l

Thanks!

Not sure what you application is going to be, but here is my thought.

Its not a bad monitor. I was considering it last night as a matter of fact. However, look at the Samsung 23" 550 Series model. For $20 more, it seems like a better overall display.

I ended up with the 27" Samsung 550 Series since it was on sale for $329.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Not sure what you application is going to be, but here is my thought.

Its not a bad monitor. I was considering it last night as a matter of fact. However, look at the Samsung 23" 550 Series model. For $20 more, it seems like a better overall display.

I ended up with the 27" Samsung 550 Series since it was on sale for $329.

Thank you!

I only use my Mini for the basics. Internet, email, school work. Nothing graphic intensive.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Is LED better than LCD for basic usage?

I have also heard I should look for IPS. Any advice?

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Is LED better than LCD for basic usage?

I have also heard I should look for IPS. Any advice?

LED is just a marketing term used on tv's and monitors these days. LED lighting is used to illuminate the LCD panel instead of the conventional fluorescent lighting (which is named CCFL). So LED monitors are actually just LCD monitors with a different backlight.

IPS LCDs are great for viewing angels, color reproduction and accuracy. IPS screens are still LCD screens and can be found with either CCFL or LED backlighting. IPS screens are also often pricier than other types of screens.

Hope that helps.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
LED is just a marketing term used on tv's and monitors these days. LED lighting is used to illuminate the LCD panel instead of the conventional fluorescent lighting (which is named CCFL). So LED monitors are actually just LCD monitors with a different backlight.

IPS LCDs are great for viewing angels, color reproduction and accuracy. IPS screens are still LCD screens and can be found with either CCFL or LED backlighting. IPS screens are also often pricier than other types of screens.

Hope that helps.

It does, thanks so much!

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Keep in mind that it is not an HDMI capable monitor if you care. You will either need to use VGA or DVI. Just want to make sure that you will have the correct cable.

Thank you, I did see that in the reviews. I have a 2012 Mini that I am already using DVI on. I appreciate the heads up! :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
On the page you posted above, I'd recommend the Dell Ultrasharp U2412M as a better buy.

$70 more, but worth the extra money.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Remember if you purchase from Best Buy you likely have to pay sales tax. Via Amazon, Newegg, B&H....typically no sales tax (depending on state) and free shipping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.