Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

datapusher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
I am planning on keeping the BTO 7200 platter drive in the main compartment and getting an optibay/data doubler type sled to replace the optical drive with an SSD.

Stupid question, but it needs asking. With this config, can I use the SSD from the optical bay as the system drive. Will there be any loss in speed or functionality with this config. I know that some of last years models had issues with sata iii in that bay, so i was hoping to get confirmation on this.

Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
I do that with a 2009 MBP and a Crucial M4 256 GB SSD and the 500 GB HDD in the HDD bay.
Depending on what MBP you have, your optical slot might be S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III), for that check System Profiler / System Report > Hardware > Serial ATA > optical drive > Link Speed.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I think you will have issues with waking from sleep mode, as the Mac doesn't look in the optical bay drive to draw data from.

At least this is what I've heard.

natesymer

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
New Jersey
simsaladimbamba - I have the same drive, well two of them, in my macbook pro.

Simply put, don't put your HDD in the optical bay. It doesn't have the proper sudden motion sensor, so your drive will get messed up.

datapusher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
How do you deal with the sleeping issue when the system drive (ssd) is in the optical bay.

Also, the optical bay is full speed on the new 2012 correct? So no performance/stability loss when throwing an ssd in the optical bay and running as the system drive. Looks like the 2011's were iffy in this regard.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I do that with a 2009 MBP and a Crucial M4 256 GB SSD and the 500 GB HDD in the HDD bay.
Depending on what MBP you have, your optical slot might be S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III), for that check System Profiler / System Report > Hardware > Serial ATA > optical drive > Link Speed.

Interesting I have the 2012 Base 13 and it states HDD is 3G even though port is 6G and the optical drive is 1.5G even though the port is 6G.

Ok this for sure is going to happen, ordered Intel 335 240 GB SSD going to be boot and apps drive, then getting extender to remove optibay and install my Seagate Hybrid 500GB for storage, this should work nicely

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.